Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Getting Started; Beginners Guide!

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/07/19 11:19:17 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Started; Beginners Guide!
PostPosted: 05/15/04 10:19:15 AM 

I've been asked this numerous times.. So I decided to make a sticky and leave it in this forum so you can find out what you need to know, when you need to know, I guess this thread can act as an Q&A...

1 - Mic, If your computer is LO tech.. You don't need to invest in an expensive mic.. Get something cheap, even if you have a decent setup, don't get a really decent mic until you actually have a use for it.. When you're starting up. low quality will be the least of your worries.

2 - Software, What I have is, a recording program, that is basic and allows me to put a rhyme over a beat.. Then I save the accapella and open it in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and try and clean up the roughness of the sound.. This program is a MUST!.. It can be bought at, http://www.syntrilum.com .. that's if you're a clown. If you have a software sharing program, for example.. Kazaa look for 'Cool Edit Pro 2.0 With Crack & Add Ones'.. The place I lay the vocals initially is Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer.. It allows you to open up a beat, and record as the beat is playing.. It's very basic, and can be downloaded at http://www.acoustica.com ... Same as before you can find a crack code to unlock it, If you're not keen on parting with your money..

2 ii - Beat software.. This is something I personally know little about..I've checked out Fruity Loops and that had me tearing my hair out.. I don't reccomend it, unless you're very patient and an adept learner..There are numerous other beat makers.. But if you're just starting up it doesn't help to have to be making beats for yourself.. If you want to learn, learn progressively..

3 - Beats, if like me you can't and don't want to make beats, It's either important you know some good places to get free downloads.. Or that you have a close circle of friends who just happen to be producers.. If you have no friends there are a number of sites devoted to beats, and you can use these tracks to get you started, or if you want to buy beats exclusively you can contact the person selling..

http://www.soundclick.com/devize
http://www.soundclick.com/orchardhiphopbeats
http://www.mp3.com/Skwirm

There are hundreds, also on elements there's a whole bunch of in-house producers, If you stalk them long enough they might hook you up...

4 - Getting your music online, I use Soundclick.com, there are some other places where you can upload your stuff, Soundclick sometimes goes out of service for long period of time (2 days at most) but is still the most consistent of the band pages..

Register here, by going to http://www.soundclick.com and signing up for a BAND account... When you're logged in you can access your band administration and Add New Songs.. And basically manage your site...

After you're stuff is up and online all you have to do is make a thread containing a link to your band page.. For example http://www.soundclick.com/likkercats ... People can check your music out and leave critique...Voila..

If there are any other questions, ask them here. Pz'

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/04 05:19:18 PM 

Also.. To get tracks form Compact Disk to mp3 format the crucial program is Real Player v.10 ...

All you need to do, is put the CD in, wait for Real Player to load.. And click where it says 'Save Tracks' with the big read button near it..

Make sure of the properties before you upload the track, and that it's saved as an mp3 file, not a Real Player audio..

Pz '

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/16/04 02:06:30 PM 

:thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/16/04 02:23:01 PM 

fu? you my freegin hero!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/16/04 02:32:14 PM 

mil_kid wrote:
fu? you my freegin hero!!

lol, Glad someone is benefiting off of my awesomeness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/18/04 08:25:14 AM 

how can I make beats? :singingintherain:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/24/04 03:33:41 PM 

dope

Post subject: MAKIN' BEATS
PostPosted: 05/24/04 04:41:20 PM 

NOW WHAT I DO TO MAKE MY BEATS IS,,, USE A 100 DOLLAR KEYBOARD,, HOOKED TO A FOSTEX DIGITAL RECORDER,,, AND THE FOSTEX IS ONLY USED AS A MIXER THOUGH HOOKED INTO MY PC LINE IN,,, NOW FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T HAVE A MIXER YOU CAN HOOK IT DIRECTLY UP TO YOUR PC'S LINE IN,, BUT YOU WOULD THEN ONLY DEPEND ON THE PC'S MIXER SOFTWARE, WHICH SHOULD BE A LITTLE SPEAKER TO THE RIGHT BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN .... NOW THE BEST METHOD OF MAKIN' A BEAT IS WHAT I CALL THE PRO METHOD..

1.CREATE THE RHYTHUM TICK,,,AND AT THE IN OF THE LOOP ADD A SNARE OR TOM,, FOR INSTANCE
TICK TICK, TICK TICK, TICK TICK, BOOM ,,TICK TICK,TICK TICK , TICK TICK BOOM .( THE CHANGE OF TICKS WILL PROVIDE A DIFFERENT RHYTHYM)RECORD THIS FOR AT LEAST 6 TIMES IN A ROW,, GO BACK AND LISTEN TO IT..SEE WHICH ONE SOUNDS THE BEST...
2. PUT THE WAV IN EDITING MODE ,SELECT THE LOOP YOU HAVE CHOOSED FROM THE WAV AND TRIM IT ,,IT IS IMPORTANT YOU DO THIS IN EDITING MODE,, SO THAT THE PROPERTIES WILL LOCK,, RETURN TO MULTITRACK MODE ,,AND LOOP IT HOW EVER MANY TIMES YOU FEEL LIKE...
3.RECORD SNARE(CLAP) DRUM TRACK,, OR IF POSSIBLE SNARE AND TOM TOGETHER, WHEN YOU HAVE CREATED A SATISTFYING LOOP SELECT IT THE SAME SIZE AS THE RHYTHYM LOOP ,,, RIGHT CLICK ,EDIT,TRIM, GO BACK TO MULTITRACK ,,DRAG TO BEGINING AND LOOP IT.THAT IS THE LOOPING METHOD MOST PRO STUDIOS USE.
4.AFTER COMPLETE WITH DRUMS, START WITH BASS,, GET DESIRED LOOP AND THEN LOOP IT USIN' THE SAME METHOD AS ABOVE,,CONTINUE USIN'G THE SAME METHOD WITH ALL INSTRUMENTS UNTILL FINISHED..
5. PANING ,,, MOST NON PROFESSIONAL PRODUCERSWILL LEAVE THE PAN ON 0 FOR ALL TRACKS,,,THIS WILL MAKE IT SOUND DULL,, THE ONLY THING THAT SHOULD STAY ON MIDDLE PAN IS THE TOM,SNARE AND BASS, THE REST CAN BE PANNED UP TO 25 LEFT/RIGHT ,,IT WILL GIVE IT SORT OF A LIVE FEEL ,,(NEVER PAN A TRACK MORE THAN 25 LEFT OR RIGHT UNLESS IT IS VOCALS AND YOU ARE USING MORE THAN ONE SET OF THAT SAME TRACK)
6.AFTER PANNING IS DONE,,, TAKE EACH INDIVISUAL TRACK INTO EDIT MODE AT A TIME,,,AND SILENCE THE PARTS WHERE NO SOUND IS,, BECAUSE IT WILL ONLY BE DISTORTION ,,,TO DO THIS ..WHILE IN EDITING MODE GO TO TRANFORM AND SILENCE AFTER SELECTING THE PART YOU WANT SILENCED.. SAME FOR ALL TRACKS ,,
7.MAKE SURE NO TRACK IS TO HIGH IN VOLUME..TO DO THIS WHILE IN MULTITRACK MODE RIGHT CLICK THE TRACK YOU WISH TO SET,, AND GO TO VOLUME.SET AS DESIRED...
8.MAKE SURE YOU TAKE OUT ANY PARTS YOU WISH BEFORE THE FINAL STEP,,,MEANING IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH LOOPS ARROUND ADD A RHYTHYM PAUSE IN THE SONG OR SUCH...DO SO
9. MIX DOWN AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!

NEED ANYMORE HELP ON ANYTHING ? GET AT ME ......PEACE

Post subject: Re: MAKIN' BEATS
PostPosted: 05/27/04 05:37:20 AM 

MADDMAN wrote:
NOW WHAT I DO TO MAKE MY BEATS IS,,, USE A 100 DOLLAR KEYBOARD,, HOOKED TO A FOSTEX DIGITAL RECORDER,,, AND THE FOSTEX IS ONLY USED AS A MIXER THOUGH HOOKED INTO MY PC LINE IN,,, NOW FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T HAVE A MIXER YOU CAN HOOK IT DIRECTLY UP TO YOUR PC'S LINE IN,, BUT YOU WOULD THEN ONLY DEPEND ON THE PC'S MIXER SOFTWARE, WHICH SHOULD BE A LITTLE SPEAKER TO THE RIGHT BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN .... NOW THE BEST METHOD OF MAKIN' A BEAT IS WHAT I CALL THE PRO METHOD..

1.CREATE THE RHYTHUM TICK,,,AND AT THE IN OF THE LOOP ADD A SNARE OR TOM,, FOR INSTANCE
TICK TICK, TICK TICK, TICK TICK, BOOM ,,TICK TICK,TICK TICK , TICK TICK BOOM .( THE CHANGE OF TICKS WILL PROVIDE A DIFFERENT RHYTHYM)RECORD THIS FOR AT LEAST 6 TIMES IN A ROW,, GO BACK AND LISTEN TO IT..SEE WHICH ONE SOUNDS THE BEST...
2. PUT THE WAV IN EDITING MODE ,SELECT THE LOOP YOU HAVE CHOOSED FROM THE WAV AND TRIM IT ,,IT IS IMPORTANT YOU DO THIS IN EDITING MODE,, SO THAT THE PROPERTIES WILL LOCK,, RETURN TO MULTITRACK MODE ,,AND LOOP IT HOW EVER MANY TIMES YOU FEEL LIKE...
3.RECORD SNARE(CLAP) DRUM TRACK,, OR IF POSSIBLE SNARE AND TOM TOGETHER, WHEN YOU HAVE CREATED A SATISTFYING LOOP SELECT IT THE SAME SIZE AS THE RHYTHYM LOOP ,,, RIGHT CLICK ,EDIT,TRIM, GO BACK TO MULTITRACK ,,DRAG TO BEGINING AND LOOP IT.THAT IS THE LOOPING METHOD MOST PRO STUDIOS USE.
4.AFTER COMPLETE WITH DRUMS, START WITH BASS,, GET DESIRED LOOP AND THEN LOOP IT USIN' THE SAME METHOD AS ABOVE,,CONTINUE USIN'G THE SAME METHOD WITH ALL INSTRUMENTS UNTILL FINISHED..
5. PANING ,,, MOST NON PROFESSIONAL PRODUCERSWILL LEAVE THE PAN ON 0 FOR ALL TRACKS,,,THIS WILL MAKE IT SOUND DULL,, THE ONLY THING THAT SHOULD STAY ON MIDDLE PAN IS THE TOM,SNARE AND BASS, THE REST CAN BE PANNED UP TO 25 LEFT/RIGHT ,,IT WILL GIVE IT SORT OF A LIVE FEEL ,,(NEVER PAN A TRACK MORE THAN 25 LEFT OR RIGHT UNLESS IT IS VOCALS AND YOU ARE USING MORE THAN ONE SET OF THAT SAME TRACK)
6.AFTER PANNING IS DONE,,, TAKE EACH INDIVISUAL TRACK INTO EDIT MODE AT A TIME,,,AND SILENCE THE PARTS WHERE NO SOUND IS,, BECAUSE IT WILL ONLY BE DISTORTION ,,,TO DO THIS ..WHILE IN EDITING MODE GO TO TRANFORM AND SILENCE AFTER SELECTING THE PART YOU WANT SILENCED.. SAME FOR ALL TRACKS ,,
7.MAKE SURE NO TRACK IS TO HIGH IN VOLUME..TO DO THIS WHILE IN MULTITRACK MODE RIGHT CLICK THE TRACK YOU WISH TO SET,, AND GO TO VOLUME.SET AS DESIRED...
8.MAKE SURE YOU TAKE OUT ANY PARTS YOU WISH BEFORE THE FINAL STEP,,,MEANING IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH LOOPS ARROUND ADD A RHYTHYM PAUSE IN THE SONG OR SUCH...DO SO
9. MIX DOWN AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!

NEED ANYMORE HELP ON ANYTHING ? GET AT ME ......PEACE

^^ thanks man...but I'm looking for software...like some program that will help me make beats... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/27/04 08:21:02 AM 

WELL GET FRUITY LOOPS ...OR A BETTER METHOD IS IF YOU HAVE A PSONE OR 2 ,,YOU CAN GO OUT AND GET "MUSIC GENERATOR 2000" AND HOOK YOUR PS AUDIO CABLES TO A STERIO PLUG CONVERTER AND HOOK THAT UP TO THE LINE IN ON YOUR PC,,, AND RECORD THE WHOLE BEAT AFTER FINISHIN' THE BEAT ON THE PSCONSOLE ,,THE REASON I SAY THIS IS A BETTER METHOD IS BECAUSE IT IS REALLY SIMPLE TO USE AND IT HAS ALMOST ALL THE INTRUMENTS YOU CAN IMAGINE... IF YOUR SOUNDCARD IS GOOD THE QUALITY WILL BE REALLY NICE TOO... I HAVE A FRIEND WHO I SUGGESTED THIS METHOD TO AND HE STILL USES IT TILL THIS DAY... HOPE I MAY HAVE BEEN OF SOME HELP TO YOU AND OTHERS

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/27/04 09:06:12 AM 

Oy, I don't know about that PS1 program...I've yet to use it but I doubt that a 50 dollar program on a game consol would be quality shit...not to mention you only have two channel outputs. That means if you're dumping your shit from the Playstation to the PC you'd need to record seperate tracks for each of the elements to the song...meaning you'd have to go back and record like the bass, drums, keys etc individually, which seems like it would be a pain in the ass. But hey, if dope shit can be made on this, dope shit can be made. As a sampling beatmaker though, I've got no use for it.

Anyway, how do you want to make beats Cali? Do you want to use samples, compose your shit or both? I really don't know much about composing shit with the computer, but I can help you if you're looking to sample.

And if you go to the producer forum, I think dminor (katchwreck or kaughtwreck or whatever he's calling himself) actually made a pretty detailed how-to kind of post. If you can dig it up, I'm sure it'd be very helpful. Actually, along the way there should be plenty of old threads that might answer your questions.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/27/04 10:18:40 AM 

djwho wrote:
Oy, I don't know about that PS1 program...I've yet to use it but I doubt that a 50 dollar program on a game consol would be quality shit...not to mention you only have two channel outputs. That means if you're dumping your shit from the Playstation to the PC you'd need to record seperate tracks for each of the elements to the song...meaning you'd have to go back and record like the bass, drums, keys etc individually, which seems like it would be a pain in the ass. But hey, if dope shit can be made on this, dope shit can be made. As a sampling beatmaker though, I've got no use for it.

Anyway, how do you want to make beats Cali? Do you want to use samples, compose your shit or both? I really don't know much about composing shit with the computer, but I can help you if you're looking to sample.

And if you go to the producer forum, I think dminor (katchwreck or kaughtwreck or whatever he's calling himself) actually made a pretty detailed how-to kind of post. If you can dig it up, I'm sure it'd be very helpful. Actually, along the way there should be plenty of old threads that might answer your questions.

Peace

YOU HAVE MORE THAN TWO CHANNELS ,,,THE LEFT AND RIGHT CABLES TRANSFER STERIO QUALITY,,BASED ON HOW YOU PAN THE INDIVISUAL TRACKS ON THE SCREEN OF YOUR TV WILL BE LEVELED TO A LITTLE MORE LEFT OR RIGHT FOR EACH INTRUMENT,,, YOU CAN ALSO ADJUST THE VOLUME OF EACH INSTRUMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/27/04 10:33:44 AM 

Nah dude. You're misunderstanding me. You have one stereo output (two mono channels). You've got one RCA chord, with a left (white) side and a right (red) side coming out of the PS1. That's two channels. And I'm not talking about quality...I'd assume it's 44 kHz, 16 bit. And you can obviously use more than two instruments at a time...but it's still only two channels. I'm just talking about it being a hassle to dump all of those tracks into a PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/27/04 10:40:04 AM 

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN NOW,,,, QUALITY CAN BE CHANGED AS DESIRED,, BUT ON THE SUBJECT OF DUMPIN' THEM,,, THE THING IS YOU ARRANGE THE TRACKS ON THE PS AS YOU DESIRE ,,THEN WHEN COMPLETE ,,YOU SIMPLY RECORD THE WHOLE THING AT ONCE IN STEREO ON THE PC...SO IT BASICALLY TAKES AS LONG AS THE TRACKS ARE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/03/04 05:22:16 PM 

peep my set up 8)

^^ $20 mic and stockings...fuck a mic stand :-?
^^ rhyme book
^^ the reason I wanna be a rapper...groupies 8)

Post subject: Re: Getting Started; Beginners Guide!
PostPosted: 06/03/04 07:01:25 PM 

FuStandStillFu wrote:
If you have no friends there are a number of sites devoted to beats, and you can use these tracks to get you started, or if you want to buy beats exclusively you can contact the person selling..

Quote:
We're Sorry... we don't seem to have that page.
Feel free to use our search above or go to our home page!

Yeah man.... that shit ain't workin. Fix it.

dueces, CARDiAC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/03/04 07:34:55 PM 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/skwirm.htm

keep my man Sean payed.

Post subject: Re: Getting Started; Beginners Guide!
PostPosted: 06/04/04 04:54:20 AM 

datboy*CARD wrote:
FuStandStillFu wrote:
If you have no friends there are a number of sites devoted to beats, and you can use these tracks to get you started, or if you want to buy beats exclusively you can contact the person selling..

Quote:
We're Sorry... we don't seem to have that page.
Feel free to use our search above or go to our home page!

Yeah man.... that shit ain't workin. Fix it.

dueces, CARDiAC.

Check the Soundclick alternative then.. MP3.com is being closed down if I'm not mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/05/04 10:03:52 AM 

hay is sound clicks free, if not is there a free way to put my music on because i got plenty of recorded tracks im just not that computer knowledgeable.
somebody help me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/14/04 07:42:22 PM 

yeah it's free. just register and upload.