Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - People ignoring other peoples' suffering

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/21/19 03:17:51 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/12/01 08:44:00 PM 

I was on the NYC train and I heard this middle-class Asian lady who sounded like some 40-year-old valley girl talking about, "When I read the newspaper, I don't wanna read about what's going on in Bosnia! I'm looking for the new wedding dress fashions, etc, etc."

What makes a person totally ignore other people's pains and cut themselves off from the world?
It's like these people live in their own bubbles and they refuse to acknowledge that other people exist besides themselves.

Another example of this: Like 2 years ago me and my sister were watching the news
and they were talking about how some guy got stabbed to death.
No response from my sister. The next report: "Tomorrow there will be rain."
Only then does my sister react: "What!?! Rain!?! SHIT! I cant wear my new skirt!"
It seems like she totally ignored that fact that somebody just got stabbed to death.

Can somebody break this egotistical society that we live in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/12/01 09:01:00 PM 

People have been desensitized to most horrible events. It's hard to relate to other peoples problems if their so severe you can't imagine it. People are not learned on the subject and just brush it off and read only the comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/12/01 09:54:00 PM 

People just don't care about others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/12/01 10:02:00 PM 

but is that people's individual fault, or b/c society in general teaches us not to care?

i think it's both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/13/01 07:39:00 AM 

innately, all organisms are selfish for survival. but our consciousness does have the capacity for empathy. clearly the woman who said this(i'm really in disbelief that someone actually said this out loud) has been conditioned and inculcated so well by the mindless media propoganda machine. but when you live in the richest country in the world, your bound not to even think about other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/13/01 10:55:00 AM 

Kinda like the stupid UN who r putting sanctions on the Saudis thinking they're punishing Sadaam.

From people I've seen w/ that attitude usually are by theirselves in society (more like classroom from what I've seen)

M.U.N.I.R.= Many United Nations In Revolution

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/13/01 12:25:00 PM 

A few months back I was riding on the train and a few kids were beating up this smaller kid and makin him give them money. Nobody, I mean nobody was doin shit about it. There were people all around. So I got up and walked to the opposite end of our car where the shit was goin on and made them give him his money back and go sit in another car. Then this old lady gave me a dirty look, I wanted to punch her rotten old ass. People make me sick

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/13/01 12:57:00 PM 

i have the answer to all your questions

stop riding the fucking train

nosa i'll post my real reply later

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/13/01 07:38:00 PM 

$1.50 beats paying all that money for a car, insurance, and gas.

Yo Drastics, why the heck did the oldlady give you a dirty look? That makes no sense. She should at least be grateful somebody has a heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/13/01 07:50:00 PM 

I dont know, maybe I ruined her quiet time alone around peaceful environments of kids gettin their lunch money taken, all I know is I really wanted to pelt that old bitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/14/01 05:56:00 AM 

Im a worrier, once I hear about injustice I get so pist off, it dominates life, my thoughts...and I don't want to be that person. I would rather focus on the beauty in the world. I don't know, Buddists say suffering just is...you can not dwell on it, you should not create it, but it is not your job to ease it for everybody.

I agree with Voltron...we are desensitized, we are exposed to so much suffering that in order to function we have to tune it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/14/01 08:36:00 AM 

drastics.... good for you man... u get all my respect for doing that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/14/01 09:20:00 AM 

I'm gone tell y'all what pisses me off - THE NEWS..... Why, oh why oh why, do people watch the news... The news @ best of times is mostly 90% 'bad' news, why do people want to hear that? We can't really see everything at once that's happenin in the world (y'know, without a tv!). Are they trying to create a perception (by this I mean the media, government, etc)? Anyways - If I'm going to help people, it's people I know and am concerned with their predicaments.. If it's someone I don't know, there'll be zilch trust.... (Financial side of things).But, if I'm OK, that's when I feel I can help people - only directly, that's when I know I'm helpin em. I find you always have to pick yourself up 1st.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/14/01 10:32:00 AM 

Peace, Hotep, Raahubat

Man-kind is selfish, at least in this society. We do not care about those who we do not know, or do not have a relation to. WHY? Well because we have been programmed with this survival of the fitest, every man for himself concept. In fact western society is built around seperatism and displacement. One of the main problems is that we don't see other people as our brothers and sisters. We see them as black, white, asian, hispanic, gay, straight, wealthy, poor, young, old,christian, muslim, buddhist, hindu, jew, taoist, democrat, republican ect. See these divisions do exactly what they are supposed to do, DIVIDE! Because you dont fell like someone is your brother, you dont care about them, you have no interest in them nor their current situation. Desensativity has been a result of the emotional and compassionate distance between man. Most people are only concerned with self, they dont care whats happening in another neighborhood as long as its not theirs, let alone another entire country. Even the most compassionate, aware, and righteous fall victim to this desensativity daily. Think about it, how many times have you ignored a homeless person on the street as if they didn't even exist, as if they weren't human deserving the same respect as a middle class working man. Far too often people equate money with respect, and thats irrational. Monetary wealth says nothing about a person, other than that they are to some degree fortunate, however those without wealth we choose to ignore as if they were invisible. Ralph Ellison wrote a book entitled "The Invisible Man" and in it he showed how blacks were invisible in whites eyes, because of race. Perhaps the new invisible men are the poor and suffering. Why? Simply because for any good person its a painful reality. It hurts to see people suffering, struggling, to see them in such horrible states. We dont want to face it, and instead of trying to find a solution we run from it, acting like it doesnt exist, and hence the problems remain.

Someone asked why the Media shows what they did. Its really simple, they show whats not considered everyday life for most of us. Most people in this country don't get shot, killed, and raped, and most arent associated with someone who does. Most people dont get their house burned down, their neighborhood bombed, or other unfortunate events. The media is nothing more than another form of entertainment. They just entertain with actual events. Its interesting to most americans to see negative things, because they are detached from it, they can say
"damn, woah, thats fucked up, oh shit, What!" and then turn the tv off walk away and go talk to their stock broker about getting some stock in microsoft. WHY? BECAUSE THAT PERSON IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE ACTUAL EVENT, and therefore can live vicariously through it without dealing with the emotional attachements to the events. Its the same as the movies, people here have been conditioned to want to see action, sex, drama, and violence and thats why historically the movies with those key elements have been very successful. This society is built on conflict, and therefore everthing that exists within it will have its fare share of conflict as well. So there is is.

Peace and Blessings to All

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/14/01 01:08:00 PM 

i just think that it's wrong that the media is always in someone's business. i dont wany MY death televised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 07:10:00 AM 

People are so wrapped up in their own worlds...they don't understand how gratifying it is to help someone else