Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Survey: What do you believe are Hip-Hop's Boundaries?

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/21/19 02:48:37 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/13/01 08:42:00 PM 

As a person I have grown considerably since I started listening to hiphop, and as a hiphophead my knowledge is willing to expand... but how many audiences can hiphop touch? How many new sounds are there to be discovered until hiphop is not "rap" anymore? What if it becomes something else entirely? When I peeped "Def Jam Uncensored" on MTV a short while ago, I was amazed that Simmons attempted Horrorcore. I think that strays far from the roots of "rap" and hiphop, and would discount myself as a radio listener if that ever went mainstream. There are groups like ICP and Twiztid that "rhyme" some deranged and gory shit, and some declare that as hiphop, which I do not agree with. What kinds of different audiences can be touched with hiphop? Give me your opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/14/01 05:28:00 AM 

i heard KRS say it,but most recently J-LIVE said at this show" don't let them give you that rap and hiphop bull crap...its either wack or dope HipHop" so true...marinate on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/14/01 06:34:00 PM 

Eminem always talks about killin people, but he does it with skill. I think that is the difference between hip hop and just rap. Skill, and life style. Well, ima stop cus im sure yall already heard it. I agree drunk, hip hop was formed as a feel good type of music. I would say that hip hops evolution was inevitable. I mean Herc used to do his thing. But cats cant be talkin bout, " throw yo hands in the air and wave em like ya just dont care..." it gets old.
Hip hop has such a room for expansion it is crazy. Back in the day a lotta people just labeled it as rap. Anybody and everybody can be touched through hip hop. People just have to put away the misconceptions of, all that it is is f this and f that, or that it is a fad. If used properly hip hop can reach any audience with any message, bottom line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 07:04:00 AM 

It's individuals with personal hang-ups that tend to create boundries. People like things to fit in neat little boxes. ART is only as boundless as the creaters mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 04:30:00 PM 

word to both of you - Thanks for the replies, I also wanted to make a statement about rock-rap, what do you think is It's future in the music industry? My statement: That for most people It's an innovative thing to use instruments, but then most POP Culture people have never heard of groups like the Roots.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 05:23:00 PM 

i hate that rock rap crap...whatever it is.
only group that could even almost pull it off was rage. they no longer are together.

hip hop itself is limitless....but when being commercial becomes the artists main focus, i think thats when it's no longer hip hop, it's a job...

and people can say that anything you do to make money is a job, it's not true.
people like professional skaters, and musicians who really love what they do, it's not a job for them... sure they still have to work hard to stay good...but it's not like when i drag my ass in to this cell and sit here for 10 hours a day, and hate every minute of it.. ya know?

anyway, gettin off subject just a tad.

i made my points...peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 07:22:00 PM 

Zack has left Rage but I don't think the rest of the band has split up yet..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 07:55:00 PM 

there is no rage without zack, plus the thing i read said they were gonna change the name. and to show you what they're gonna be like now, they were sayin that they wanted the fuc*in guy from soundgarden to come snig for them. b-real from cypress hill said he wanted to sing for them, but they never got back with him or something... i think i'd pick b-real over that stupid ass soundgarden guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 08:00:00 PM 

then again, b-reals annoying ass voice, all like, yeah im rollin down rodeo with a shot gun, these people aint seen a brown skin man, since INSANE IN DA MEMBRANE... nah...i cant see that workin.. haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 08:06:00 PM 

i have ta agree with un....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 08:17:00 PM 

yikes...I cannot imagine Chris Cornell from Soundgarden nor B-real from Cypress fronting Rage...yea I agree with the no Zack, no Rage statement though...but Zack is working on a solo isn't he? I think he has hooked with some hiphop producers..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 09:47:00 PM 

damn, let's get back to the topic, oh yeah I would choose whoever stayed on point about Rage's mission, mesa...

This is getting to be a yes/no survey, so I have to ask, what the hell is wrong with making hiphop your job. Cats like Tupac made a living off of it and his shit was deep (within his culture). Life experience is the best subject matter, and if you make a living by catching people's interests with stories from your eventful life... that you would probably tell anyways. Wouldn't you go professional???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/16/01 08:19:00 PM 

thats not it ,see hip hop is a tree with many branches ,people are unique..so0me are smart some are dumb..depending on persective,ur life is ur life..but do i won't too hear a 2pac knock off ...NO...do i want another mos def ...NO ..stay original and creative ..push one another to a point they were never at...thats what its about, so bounderies ,there is none..only in ones mind,but should there be a point where we say this is music /art, and this is noise /art ..yes,but we call it"the bomb, hot,or dope".. or "corny, wack,or trash"..one should experiment..but too abstract people lose the meaning of the creator's creative art all together..so that how i look at it...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: i=OmeGA on 2001-05-16 23:23 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/16/01 09:52:00 PM 

what i think is ridiculous is those cash money millionare cats. what the hell is their deal, $100,000 in platinum dental work? i'd say that's abusing the music a little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/17/01 04:33:00 AM 

The platinum grill
isnt abusing the music its the people.They have the cars,chains,and all those other luxury items because thats what they want. CM are just being themselves. If they wernt rappers and on t.v. all the time and selling records, they would be doing the same thing.(..buying and flossing the shit that they have.) All that is they're peragative. Now,if you look at that as how a "rapper" (emcee:save that for real lyrisist) should be percieved or is represented-your the one abusing hip-hop.
The skill level he spits at, and the millions if dollars he's getting for spitting that simple shit; is abusing hip-hop.
But i dont hate them for doing it, because the brothers are getting paid out the ass.
I listen to a good bit of Cash Money because i definitly feel some of their songs.
I never bought one of their cds and I never will.But.I like some of their songs, because sometimes its about what they are saying ,rather than how intelligentlly you can put the words together to form your story or intospective on things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/17/01 07:45:00 AM 

this reminds me of the ol "do you live hiphop" thread from like a year ago. I personally don't know how not to live hiphop, it frames my life and perception... i spiritually involve many lessons i've learned from the hiphop culture, it's an endless recource. This culture however can only exist in the streets, meaning among the people, not the industry pulling all the strings... I can't go to an arena hiphop concert, only downtown shows in smokey bars.
not enough people view hiphop as a degree of reality, to many outside of the modern refinition it's been an industry or a facet of entertainment... all that is bullshit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Memo-Xen on 2001-05-17 10:48 ]</font>