Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Stealing Rock 'n Roll

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/15/19 09:39:51 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 06:34:00 PM 

I was just listen to Mos Def's "Rock N Roll" and it got me thinking. Why do people say that white people "stole" rock? Sure, they dominate it now, but is it really stealing? Chuck Berry, Chubby Checkers, etc. were all doing it first and then white artists came along because they liked what they heard. I don't think white artists/labels ever got together and said, "Let's get those lousy blacks outta rock!" It just naturally progressed that way. White people didn't create it, but is it stealing to try to improve and be innovative with something you like? Are cats going to say this about hiphop in a couple of years too with white MCs becoming more prolific? Yo, and I'm not white, so don't pull this, "You cracker, you're just racist and don't understand."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 07:59:00 PM 

its all about the dollar kid and who ever makes possess it whatever...(i had written a whole paragraph but thats all that was relavent)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/15/01 08:02:00 PM 

the criticism levelled at honky's re their role in the devils musik, i think, (not fact or law coz we all wizeblindmen all feeling up the same elephant) is that rocknroll was not so much stolen as sanitized for mass american caucasian consumption by the greed of record companies.the american music industry powers that be in the early 50's were freakin that the ameri-kids were geddin hooked into swing, bebop (watever they were callin it before it became rocknroll) and this was black - egad, "negro" musik and it couldn't be played on alot of radio stations, coz this is when the states was still segregated with chubby riding at the back of the bus. the patboone whitecream cheese post war ballads the companies were putting out jus weren't makin ma n pa jump the joint.... so it is about the $$$$ - alot of black artists had their material re recorded by wonderwhitebread artists for proper consumption, and alotta shady publishing deals went down with alotta artists getting severely ripped off - ya think Nat King Cole was a heroin junkie coz he was living large off his royalties for Only You?
ida know, i ben attending a few underground showcases of emcees lately, and there is alotta crappy white rappers out there,already. but i blame this hopefully transient state of affairs on that novelty rappin chap eminem/tinytim

praise allah buddha jah n rah - hip hop can embrace us all, if you let it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/16/01 04:41:00 AM 

Yeah, I think people say they stole it because essentially they did. It was a black origionated musical genre and now just about everyone will tell you rock and roll is white music. And that's because the majority of white consumers would rather buy a record by a white artist. Just like hip-hop there were whites that were down from day one. There had to be white A&Rs who put these artists on and thought they could succeed and there had to be white record execs who decided to put out there record and there had to be a white audience to play to. But it was only a matter of time before we got an Elvis Presely.

We've seen something similar recently with Eminem. Now I'm in no way saying Eminem is untalented or undeserving of success but I saw so many white kids come out of the woodworks and buy Eminem's record, and these were cats who never bought any rap records before Eminem, some even saying that it's not music prior to the release of the Martial Mathers LP. I suppose some of that can be attributed to the fact that Eminem's lyrics are controversial or new or whatever but I'd expect to see blacks and latinos making up 30 percent of those in the lines to buy the album and those in their car bumping the shit out of it.

And another thing you see is more and more whites picking up mics, I think that was bound to happen anyways. Before Eminem whites made up 70% of those who bought rap records, that's proportional to the American population and it's only a matter of time before those making rap music also reflect it. I don't think it will get as bad as rock and roll because hip-hop rose out of the era of the music video and is much more visibly black and blacks and latinos are much more quickly associated with hip-hop than whites. However it's a definite possibility.

That's my opinion.

Peace