Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - cincinnati, oh- police brutality, riots, hate crime charges

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/16/19 09:47:50 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/19/01 01:29:00 PM 

as we know, a young unarmed black male was murdered by a police officer in Cincinnati. His crime being missing a court appearance for a few misdemeanors. Apparently he was the 4th young unarmed black man killed by the Cincinnati police in the last 5 months.

in response to this terrible event, the city of Cincinnati imposed a curfew from 8pm - 6am because the mayor fears the safety of the streets- that being the safety of public property... martial law, many people-especially youths of color are resisting and protesting against police brutality... uprising, the mayor declared the city in the state of emergency and bused in the National Guard and police officers who were disproportionally white, and some, perhaps many, are abusing their power.

for example, a 73 yr. old grandmother sitting in front of her porch in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood resists an officer's request to have her house searched, and the officer attacks her, she falls down some stairs, and is currently bein' hospitalized.

is that kind of force really necessary for a 73 yr old woman? is that kind of force really necessary for a young male who missed his court appearance for a few misdemeanors?

and all these riots we keep hearing about - folks are looting, folks are stealing, there`s unrest, etc. I dont really think there is that much of looting goin on as there are protests consisting of people who are just flat out not havin' it with how they are treated by the police in the recent years, and after the death of an unarmed young black male by a police officer, just sparked many people to resist and rebell against the police, the city until their demands of a stop to all this police brutality is met.

I mean, seriously, 5 murders of young black males by police officers in the last 6 months? Not only that, I have learned that many officers in Cincinnati have been raping women and none of the officers have been convicted of any charges although the women who were raped were charged with sexual bribery. And Cincinnati is smaller in pop. than Oakland??

I dont think Cincinnati is so much in the state of mass confusion as it is in the state of rebellion. Its already a tense situation as it is, and I didnt really think it was smart to bus THAT many police officers that were white.

And these people are getting arrested and pressed with felony charges... guilty = jail time. When those kids at Woodstock were dissatisfied w/ the high water prices, they 'uprised.' And they were not pressed with any charges. Most of the kids at Woodstock were white?

well, this was bound to happen: rioters face hate crime charges. Cincinnati proseceutors are reviewing videoatpes of some incidents during the riots, and are now threatening hate crime charges. news crews caught many incidents of black people beating white people.

Any heads from Cincinnati?

what's your opinion on this whole situation? or even just what's your opinion on police brutality in general? how can we solve it? what can we do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/19/01 01:45:00 PM 

I think one way to solve it is to reinstate organizations similar to the Black Panthers. The sad thing is, is that when the Black Panthers were around, the CIA called them "a threat to society." How so? The KKK has been around a lot longer than them, but the CIA never plotted against them!

anyways, i digress. I dont know if it would be the best solution, but bringing back groups like the Black Panthers and Younglords would definitely be one solution to the problem. it seems like we need someone to police the police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 10:27:00 AM 

I don't know if bringing in the Black Panthers would be a good idea as well. Just the same as bussing in white officers isn't going to help the situation, Black Panthers showing up won't either. It's hard to figure out any sort of solution that would satisfy everyone when it comes to disputes involving color. If you give help to black people, then white people see it as an unfair advantage and the same goes the other way. The real solution (and the most difficult), is showing people that we're all the same regardless of color (not to sound cliche'ish). Equality-- not compensation, is the goal. And on that note, things like Affirmitve Action, and racial quotas don't promote equality, but just the opposite; segregation. If you have to set different standards and give unfair advantages to make a certain program equal, it's not equal.

Ignorance is a disease readily communicable and easily spread. And it doesn't help that Cincinnatti is located in a historically racist area either. Maybe the problem is miscommunication between neighborhoods, and people. Misunderstandings, presumptions, and acceptance of "thought" rather than fact. Education is probably your greatest weapon against racism's ugly-head. Many people find out about the effects of racism, but not the cause.

Police brutality is always a hot-topic these days, though I thought we might've nipped it when NWA exploded onto the scene... The problem as I see it is corrupt cops abusing there power against those who have little avenues to turn towards for justice, and of these avenues most a "road-blocked". It all comes back to racism. I see now that when racist people are placed in positions of power, their ignorance branches out and contaminates all that touch it. I imagine that a substantial part of many city's offices are enwrapped in this evil. The solution might be to educate people, and get those people into positions of authority, and get them to eradicate this stupidity, and put an end to corruptness, and work towards equality.