Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Africa or Afrika?

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/16/19 10:10:25 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/19/01 02:04:00 PM 

I have read many books and articles written by Blacks that have spelled Africa as "Afrika" with a "K" instead of a "C." But why? Is this like a sort of rebellion against the way Americans write it or something? I was just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/19/01 02:37:00 PM 

I think you're thinking of SuidAfrika which is an Afrikaans word for South Africa. Afrikaans is the language, developed by the Dutch settlers, spoken by Afrikaaners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/19/01 07:08:00 PM 

The reason the K is Used...

*Most traditional languages on the continent of Afrika spell it with a K; therefore K is germain to us.

*Europeans, particularly Portugeese and British,polluted traditional languages by substituting the C whenever they saw K
EX; Kongo-congo
Akkra-Accra
Konakri-Conakry
they also substituted Q wherever they saw KW.

Thats a cool question though cause it was the same one I asked when I first started seeking knowledge- Glad I could help cause you seem like cool peoples- I still got a lot to unlearn though they can really F---
ya mind up in 17 years

PEace---I used to be Mustafah-yall probably still dont no me i didnt post much

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 08:48:00 AM 

good looks to both of you. i always wondered why people spelled it with a K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 10:37:00 AM 

im south african (should be azanian) and i dont really care if its africa or afrika its a greek word so it can go fuck itself as far as im concernd

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: afrogatsby on 2001-04-25 13:45 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 03:37:00 PM 

What do actual Africans/Afrikans call it? When Egypt was a great world power it was called Kemet, back that was milleniums ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/28/01 09:02:00 PM 

i read this.

"af," "ra," and "ka." "Af" also "afu" means "body" or "flesh." "Ra" means "energy" or "lifeforce" and is usually represented by the Sun as the Sun is the greatest source of energy and lifeforce that we know of in the material world. "Ka" means "soul." Therefore the three words put together "af-ra-ka" make "the body and soul of the lifeforce" or "flesh and soul of the ultimate source of energy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/28/01 09:40:00 PM 

I don't know if that's true. Nowadays people break up words and make them mean whatever they want them to.

For example: "Wisdom"
"Wis" means "Wise" and "Dom" means "Dome."
Therefore, "wise in the dome."
But if you know anything about etymology, "wisdom" is derived from early Anglo-saxon languages. This is just an example of how people break down words and make them signify whatever they want.

Maybe it's true, though (the Af-ra-ka thing, that is). I'm just asking for proof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/29/01 03:57:00 AM 

true ..the native languages didnt have a c ...so they use a K ,KRS said write hiphop as culture with a K ,to respect its african origin ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/30/01 06:39:00 AM 

Peace

Dont sleep, abacus is on point with what he stated, its a fact.

Peace