Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Interracial Relationships

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/16/19 07:48:20 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/08/01 10:01:00 AM 

check it

thanks for the insightful reply...

I meant my comments to be interpreted almost exactly opposite the way you did, although your response might still be the same.

what I was saying is that there is so much that needs to be done in the black community, that every positive example and positive force is important. What I wasNT saying is that by mixing with other ethnicites that black culture would be watered down...
basically, complete nuclear black families are special and in short supply. And to partner with someone who is intrinsically involved in getting things together in the community makes for a powerful union. Symbolism is one of those understated yet powerful forms of communication.
I recognize that depending on how you look at that statement, it could be taken as short sighted, however there is a lot of truth there. But ultimately, I feel similarly to you regarding basing relationships on the spiritual bond. I'm not so deep into the struggle that I can't recognize a vibe. If she's the one that complements me, she simply IS. And I dont believe that those feelings recognize color or culture.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leffield on 2001-06-08 13:04 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/08/01 10:04:00 AM 

yeah, what leffield said

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/08/01 10:21:00 AM 

"basically, complete nuclear black families are special and in short supply. And to partner with someone who is intrinsically involved in getting things together in the community makes for a powerful union. Symbolism is one of those understated yet powerful forms of communication."

I agree and I don't think it is short sighted...HOWEVER a powerful union is a powerful union regardless of racial boundaries. Symbolism can go both ways, against the norms or following with traditional stereotypes...a good message can be gained from both. Being a bi-racial couple should not imply that you are any less interested in the betterment of the community...quite the opposite.

much love and much respect to you cutie :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/08/01 10:32:00 AM 

Haha

word. there's a lot of truth in that too.

Perspective is a trip, for real.

I'm thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/08/01 11:52:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-06-08 13:32, Leffield wrote:
Perspective is a trip, for real.

I'm thinking.

no doubt :grin:

my boss said in a speech today that
"communication is not only talking it is also listening. Without listening, one never sees anothers perspective. And without that, you can be left in a dark place"

hit me up when you are done thinkin about it :smile: . Have a great weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/08/01 12:21:00 PM 

Indeed. We'll build. Peace Kiss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/08/01 06:40:00 PM 

oops

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/09/01 04:51:00 PM 

Thats good dialouge. The kind of communication you guys are talking about is exactly what Im studying in school right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/09/01 11:28:00 PM 

Moses' wife was Ethiopian. If it's good enough for Moses(in this case), it's good enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/10/01 12:21:00 AM 

I dig how everyone's opening up in here. I'm in agreement with Kisapele on many levels. I have to say Leffield I understand where you're coming from when you said you want a strong black union for identity purposes for your children; I used to feel the same way about my Irish background. However, I realized that all this does is to create more barriers, whereas we need to work on building a world community. If all races were mixed together, think of how it would affect racism. Pure blood lines is the same ideology that Hitler supported; I think we should all cross-pollinate until we say "Fuck You" to biases and learn to live in peace. If a woman (heavy emphasis on woman not girl, boo, ho, etc.) is down and I can communicate with her on that tip, then I'm gonna be with that woman; of course there has to be some physical attraction and I can see how that can play into one's selection of a mate, but as I interact with more races and cultures, I notice certain beauty in the characteristics of people. I think we all need to "taste the rainbow", to quote the Skittles' commercial, so we can discover what flavor suits us.
One Love

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/10/01 09:31:00 AM 

"...complete nuclear black families are special and in short supply..."

True, as are nuclear white families, Hispanic families, Asian families...families in general.

Family itself, multiracial or not, is one of the hardest things to keep alive today. So both persons involved in an interracial relationship need to have a strong sense of self and pride in his/her own race/ethnicity, and bring this into the family.

Personally speaking, my family has come to embrace the differences brought about by my extended family. No one culture is dominant, but the children can strongly identify with both sides because the parents never let them forget either side as a young child.

It frustrates me when people are so adamant when it comes to their preferences and limitations. Like Leffield said, (somewhat?), I wouldn't ignore or deny a vibe.

And fuck those who shun people. I've seen that ugliness first hand and it disgusts me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/10/01 01:35:00 PM 

The first thing my dad and uncle asked me about my boyfriend (they both live on the East Coast, so they're far far away):

"Is he white?"

Actually, my dad said:

"He's white, isn't he?"

Yes, my boyfriend is "white" (whatever that means), and I'm Chinese-Canadian/Canadian-Chinese. This isn't just an issue between us. Love is colourblind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/10/01 05:33:00 PM 

Yeah.

Sometimes we think ourselves into corners instead of trusting our gut, or our heart. I've been and continue to be guilty of it. At the same time, living life acting as if you are unaware of society's hangups is an imposed ignorance as well. I'm usually thinking about how to channel my energy toward positive change. And it's clear that you have to DEAL with issues to resolve them. On some levels, I think people understand eachother and see the universal spirit in everyone, but the norm is to turn a blind eye to it and deal with things much more tangible. We're a desensitized culture (America). Some of the racial consciousness in me comes from obviously growing up black, with a black family, understanding the struggles and problems WE have encountered. Being familiar with them, and seeing them repeated over and over again within the community of my black friends and associates, and drawing parallels, makes it much more natural for me to address those issues directly. But it doesnt mean I dont acknowledge that some of these issues extend to all (or at least other) cultures and ethnicities.

Dig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/11/01 02:28:00 AM 

have ya'll even thought of this... that it is hard enough to find a good partner let alone one that fits specific physical characteristics? i would be a hypocrite if i said that i had always seen past color. but now that i know better i do better. we are faced with decisions... the greatest so far for me is "do i live the life that is controlled by me or someone else?" if you can answer honestly that you are not controlled by others' opinions and still think that you have to "stick to your own kind"... i would say to your face that you are a fucking liar.

i don't know if i went off on a tangent. but even i am tired of this racial bullshit. we have better things to worry about.

poesis peaces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/11/01 03:01:00 AM 

I dont know if that is directed to me or not, but if it is, I'm not understanding the relevance... (?)

maybe you could expound

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/11/01 07:14:00 PM 

no. it was not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/11/01 07:25:00 PM 

And actually, Bella...
I see the point you make, regardless of whose comments or what inspired it.

It makes sense.
It's interesting to look at your life and see how much of what you do is based purely on yourself, and what YOU believe in. There are countless ways where the masses are influenced, and just go with the flow...

Peace

Lef

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leffield on 2001-06-11 22:32 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/12/01 05:05:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-06-11 05:28, bellabellum wrote:
have ya'll even thought of this... that it is hard enough to find a good partner let alone one that fits specific physical characteristics?

you know bella...that has been my statement for homosexuality for YEARS...we are all looking for love who cares where you find it, as long as you find it. :grin:

peace, love & light
kisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/16/01 12:31:00 AM 

exactly. i know it is cliche' to say this... but really. do try to put yourself in others' shoes. sometimes the same people who preach about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are the same ones who would love to see a gay man beaten to death. just for being who he is. it really hurts me to think that some believe certain people do not deserve to love or be loved. bottom line. what goes on behind closed doors between consenting adults is none of my goddam business. if others around me are truly happy then i am happy too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bellabellum on 2001-06-16 03:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bellabellum on 2001-06-16 03:35 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/17/01 03:43:00 AM 

Like I've said before, "Hate the sin; love the sinner" (In accordance with my religion, homosexuality is a sin). It's just about respect for life and for people in general; when you learn to look beyond someone's physical appearance and see their internal beauty, that's when you can find happiness in a relationship. Like the saying goes, "Beauty is only skindeep, but ugliness goes straight to the bone."