Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - philosophy aka the love of knowledge

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/15/19 03:12:58 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 11:04:00 AM 

What philosophers do you find the most interesting? What concepts? I've read Machiavelli's The Prince and find that to be rather intense and I've read a little on nihilism which seems a very sour outlook...hmmm...what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 11:14:00 AM 

there are so many...lots of Lamas and Buddah of course. I like Nietche (I can't spell) he is on a different plane and I appreciate it. Philosphy is something that I kept away from only because everybody has one...my mind would explode.

To me Bob Marley was/is a great philosopher. And Iyanla Vanzant inspires me with her plethora of philosophies...mmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 11:17:00 AM 

Bob Marley had an intense plethora of knowledge...he's definitely an intense mofo...Nietzche is slightly sour to my palate with the whole nihilism thing...I need to get back into educatin' myself so I can wax this tip on a deeper level...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 11:34:00 AM 

the swami, the buddah, tehuti, some of my close friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 12:11:00 PM 

Confucius

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 12:55:00 PM 
word to all those mentioned above but as of lately i have been reading up on the existentialist philosophers such as Camus, Dostoyevsky, Nietzsche, and Sartre. wonderful readings especially Dostoyevsky's "Notes from the Underground."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 12:58:00 PM 

Star Wars - haha. It's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 01:52:00 PM 

i think saying that nietzsche is a nihilist is a bit too simplistic. i would say that he believed in truths to exist, but that human actions were faulty and that systems that appeared to be natural truths were actually the evolution of human actions compounding one another's flaws.

but anyway, i like nietzsche, sartre, lao-tzu, sun-tzu, chuang-tzu, mencius, epicurus, siddartha gautama, peter singer and some others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 04:34:00 PM 

word to sun-tzu

does anyone read up on Utopian Philosophy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/27/01 11:07:00 PM 

Quote:
On 2001-06-27 14:14, kisapele wrote:
there are so many...lots of Lamas and Buddah of course. I like Nietche (I can't spell) he is on a different plane and I appreciate it. Philosphy is something that I kept away from only because everybody has one...my mind would explode.

It is Nietsche ...
But didya read anything by him ?? I mean ,his views on mankind and religion ??
Nietsche was a goddamn weirdo ....

I saw someone list up Sun Tzu ,he was a military teacher ,wrote his book Art of war ,aint got anything to do with philosophy ...

I like Voltaire on some of his statements ,but I'd rather stick with Rousseau ...

nietsche is probably too much on that racist tip for me ...

As for Kant ,I'd havta say he was brilliant in what he said ,but an idiot in what he did ...

My favs are prolly Marx and I also like a little bit of Feuerbach ....

Hegel ,is interesting ,but not my point of view .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/28/01 12:18:00 AM 

Sun Tzu's The Art of War is very philosophical in its nature. Think about in a context other than war; the train of thought represented by that book is put to action in everyday settings especially in the business world.

Also, I feel much peace when I study Taoism and Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching; his extrapolations and interpretations of the universe and mankind's place in the natural order provide me with great insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/28/01 05:48:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-06-28 02:07, ill fanatic wrote:
It is Nietsche ...

I've actually read quite a lot of his work and for a very long time it made a lot of sense to me. Appreciating someones concepts and agreeing with them are totally different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/28/01 07:50:00 AM 
Quote:
On 2001-06-28 08:48, kisapele wrote:
Quote:
It is Nietsche ...

I've actually read quite a lot of his work and for a very long time it made a lot of sense to me. Appreciating someones concepts and agreeing with them are totally different.

word up

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MizPeace on 2001-06-28 13:08 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/28/01 09:00:00 AM 

hmmm ,nietsche is a bit too hard core for me ,nah mean ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/28/01 10:03:00 AM 

Quote:
I saw someone list up Sun Tzu ,he was a military teacher ,wrote his book Art of war ,aint got anything to do with philosophy ...

ha, the art of war is a seminal taoist text. read and learn before making asanine statements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/28/01 10:21:00 AM 

^exactly!

on a side note, the book of 5 rings is also an essential philisophical piece.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LOGiC on 2001-06-28 13:32 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/29/01 09:03:00 AM 

I was intrigued by Sigmund Freud's outlook on religion as an illusion of man and sexuality's repression in civilization. I don't totally agree with his theories but they are very interesting. I recommend him to any seeker of knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/05/01 05:49:00 AM 

'My favs are prolly Marx and I also like a little bit of Feuerbach ....

Hegel ,is interesting ,but not my point of view ..... '

hegel, marx and feuerbach are fairly similar in the fact that they are all enlightement thinkers (that there is a goal or end point to human history - for marx it is the communist state, for feuerbach it is for humans to stop raifying beliefs such as god into reality, and hegel for the cosmic mind to end its dialectical (struggle through ending and creating new societies) journey to its telos (which is the Prussian state). Marx grouped Hegel and Feuerbach into the Old and New Hegalians, and in fact didnt agree with either (they both had mystical trappings), but believed that they were on to something (the end point of history, and certain other things..). Marx believed that rather than starting with theory (like the old and new hegalians) we should begin with real concrete people + quit the realm of philosophy
"life is not determined by consciousness, but consciousness by life"
(according to marx + stated in the quote, there is no real truth or reason, merely the economic base (life) - the economic base defines everything. i find them interesting, but i dont agree with any of these thinkers (although i do believe that marx is definitely onto something; outlining an important aspect of the world i.e. the economic)... philosophers in the past such as plato (reason), aristotle (reason), Kant (reason), Hume (senses), locke (reason+senses!!), Descartes (reason) etc. etc. all reduced reality/knowledge (or their epstemlogy+ontology) down to one single aspect

Marx reduces the world to its economic aspect.

'i would say that Nietzche believed in truths to exist'
this is a huge tension in nietzche's work:
'it is the primordial fact of history' VS it is up to the master to act as the 'heart dictates'
for nietzche life is essentially 'the physiological preservation of the speices' and as a result launches an attack on the whole of philosophy.. there is no truth, no knowledge, no reason, no god etc. just survival, everything else is just a tool (language + reason etc. help us to survive, but it does not necesserily mean that they are true - which is what rationalist philosophers would argue/assume). But, as i said earlier, there is a huge tension in sayng this because he starts to create duties for the master race (ubermensche), which they must/should follow + makes conctrete factual statements (which he cant do, judging by what he is saying i.e. a contradiction).. if u read his work carefully u'll understand.

'Sigmund Freud's outlook on religion as an illusion of man and sexuality's repression'

freud again makes an important contribution to the ever growing body of knowlegde that exists - i.e. psychological theories (based upon the deepest of subterranean sexual urges).. however, no serious psychologist truely believes that freud is right, his view is far too narrow, but did provide some valuable info... marx (economic), Nietzche (biotic), and freud (sexual urges) were called the 'masters of suspicion' and although their theories are very different, they work in very similar ways.. that one aspect of reality defines all others; 'efflux', 'reflex' etc. etc.

i think that reality/creation has many different important aspects which ALL reveal some important facet of knowledge (such as the rational/reason, senses, economic aspect, biological/physiological), fundamentally, to say that one aspect of reality is more important than another, is to reduce the world to somethng that it is not.

therefore, my fav. philosopher is HERMAN DOOYERWEERD THE DUTCH PHENOMENOLOGICAL STRUCTURALIST THINKER (VS REDUCTIONISM)

"objects of experience display a MULTIPLICITY OF ASPECTS. The lesson, then, is that IF A THEORY OF REALITY is to explain the functions of things, IT MUST TAKE INTO ACCOUNT HOW THINGS FUNCTION IN ALL ASPECTS."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fikshen on 2001-07-05 09:01 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/05/01 06:03:00 AM 

OH YEAH, PHILOSOPHY - THE LOVE OF KNOWLEDGE????? NOT REALLY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/05/01 08:26:00 PM 

my favorite philosopher once said "players are gonna play, and haters are gonna hate, ballers are gonna ball..."
thats the way it is.