Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - the extent of beauty

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/11/19 08:48:38 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 07:54:00 AM 

how does one base beauty: by comparison and contrast? Is there any other way? How do we determine who's hot and who's not? I mean fat chicks used to be the rage back in the day and now everyone wants Kate Moss(yeeechhh). What is the basis for beauty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 09:53:00 AM 

Cultural influences. If you are told that skinny is beautiful all the time, eventually you end up believing that. However, some people are strong-willed enough to realize that there is not one specific type of beauty. There are as many beautiful fat people as there are beautiful skinny people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 10:08:00 AM 

I agree, but what serves as the basis for beauty? what is our reference point outside of cultural influence? I mean, I was raised that white boys stay with white girls but I always had girlfriends of other ethnicities (mainly Puerto Rican, Brazilian and Mexican) and have always been attracted to women that are "exotic" so to speak. I mean I know what turns me on physically and what entraps me mentally, but how did we come to these conclusions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 10:10:00 AM 

good question. i don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 10:17:00 AM 

I often think it's experience and interactions, as I grew up in very racially integrated neighborhoods. These were the girls I was around alot, so maybe that's part of it, but I'm also attracted to features of women I didn't really spend much time around, so I'm some what torn. Mostly I think it has to do with animal instinct and the desire to procreate that edges my attraction to certain physical types, but then we get into the argument of mental beauty. I think that can only be based on experience and interests; I know any girl I date has to be very musically oriented and very diverse in her tastes or I lose interest quickly. See things like this are conditional on my own experiences, but then there are girls that every guy I know thinks is beautiful so it gets back into the whole animal thing. I don't know...I think I am thinking myself in abstract circles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 02:16:00 PM 

Like Ducksauce was saying, that when society show's us all who is supposed to be pretty, and who isnt, alot of us just believe it. Now im not saying that if there was no society pressure that we would think that obviously ugly girls were pretty. But, if your friends are always saying, man that girl is hot, you eventually start to have the same viewpoint.

Another thing, is it may depend on ones perception, and past experiences. Since everyone has lived a different life, and different things happen to them, and they do different things, then they will grow up looking at things differently.

Thats why a girl you might think is pretty, might not be so pretty to someone else.

peace, love

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 09:14:00 PM 

if you are talking just physical beauty, then it depends a lot upon culture and genetic expression and species survival techniques. from what i have observed, typically the common factor of physical beauty is rarity. i mean what is not common is desired. when you mentioned kate moss and other waif leafs, tall, extremely thin, gaunt looking females are not the norm. also i have noticed in a lot of cultures, the paler the skin, the "more beautiful" the person is. now that ties in a lot with european history and carnage, but it is also a sign of status and of rarity. we want what we can not have. also the opposite tends to be found in more developing nations. the rounder the female shape, the "more beautiful." and that ties into the idea of species survival. as well as evolutionary lines of animal behavior. the more robust, voluptous forms tend to be a successful sign of fertility. that has definitely played a part in the human species development as well. so physical beauty and attraction, whether we acknowledge it or not drives us animals into reproducing. thus ensuring our survival. now where the waifs come in, i think they are just a trend. some might like to look at them, but definitely probably not procreate with. that may just be my opinion tho.

but if you are talking about Beauty as in The Forms or Truth or Art. well. i don't think i can summarize it into a concise statement just yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/08/01 10:02:00 PM 

wow, and that blows my conclusion out of the water, nicely done

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 05:13:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-07-08 13:08, xViolentxOnex wrote:
I agree, but what serves as the basis for beauty? what is our reference point outside of cultural influence? I mean, I was raised that white boys stay with white girls but I always had girlfriends of other ethnicities (mainly Puerto Rican, Brazilian and Mexican) and have always been attracted to women that are "exotic" so to speak. I mean I know what turns me on physically and what entraps me mentally, but how did we come to these conclusions?

First...go ahead bella with your intelligent self :wink:...very nicely stated.

Second, V1 your attraction to the opposite of your cultural background is pretty obvious, its called non-conformity, rebellion against your culture.

I am not attracted to any particular type of person...some features turn me on more than others but beauty to me is not physical. I think deep down I like to be affraid and that is why physically I am attracted to dark, intimidating,brooding, complicated men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 05:41:00 AM 

Beauty is from within.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 07:00:00 AM 

NATURAL uniqueness and health usually play a large part in my attraction. A round shape versus a gawky one is naturally sexier to me.

Things like hairstyle and clothing are results of personality and tell a lot about the person. So, there is no one "style" I dig more than all others, it all comes down to the vibe the person effects.

Mentally I am drawn to women whose thoughts and intelligence run deep. As do their natural animal instincts and intuitiveness. I'm turned off by products of society who were essentially created by their trappings. Women who appreciate life's simple pleasures are up my alley.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leffield on 2001-07-09 10:04 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 12:23:00 PM 

Quote:
...but beauty to me is not physical. I think deep down I like to be affraid and that is why physically I am attracted to dark, intimidating,brooding, complicated men.

very interesting kisapele. i know i will get hated on by this, but there is definitely something to forbidden fruit. especially growing up in an asian culture, it was understood that blacks were "off limits." i am not saying all asians feel this way, but at least my immediate community did. i did not date black men because they were the flavor of the month or anything like that, but the stigmatism of cultural taboos did add a certain something to the energy of the relationships.

and white mike. i did not mean to grossly oversimplify physical beauty and attraction. i just wanted to add to those points already addressed. those were just external issues of the physical world. those who pride on expanding their minds are able to push those factors aside. and realize that the mind is infinitely more beautiful than the surface. to me it is a joke as far as physical beauty. i did not do anything to acquire my physical status. so i take no pride in what i did not achieve. my gene pool and environment are to be thanked for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 12:31:00 PM 

and another thing. this helps to put physical beauty into context. i always think about how in one culture i am a fly mofo and in another, upon someone seeing me for the first time they want to vomit. when you think about it this way. you can't take it too seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 02:02:00 PM 

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"... not that complicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/10/01 05:04:00 AM 

yes bella I totally agree! "forbidden fruit" has an enormous effect on ones perspective of beauty.