Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - race? ethnicity? nationality? or BELIEFS?

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/16/19 12:43:36 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 10:51:00 AM 

munya: I'm not pressed. You still worried about gettin dug out by a dude?
GET OVER IT

littlebutterflygoddess: bless you :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: unorthodox_measures on 2001-04-25 13:52 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 12:12:00 PM 

Norway is NOT a part of Sweden!
Not that I care about nationality much, but being called Swedish is generally considered an insult in Norway.......
We are a free and beautiful country and don't want Sweden to take credit for all the whales and wolves we kill...... lol

-Loke

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 12:32:00 PM 

on the subject,

we all categorize people, whether we like it or not. our brain puts people we don't know into categories, to maintain some order and structure. Noone can say that they only judge people by their thoughts, ideas and morals....... I'm not just talking about race and religion here, but beauty aswell.
I don't think you can remove predjudice, but the key is being aware of your predjudices, and not just repress them, but fight them and overcome them.

-Loke

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 12:41:00 PM 

Loke,

People are also judged on their income, educational background, body attributes (not necessary color) and even where they live.

If someone had a college degree, made over 60,000 a year, had good health, owned a house in a very nice community, drove a nice car, had a wonderful spouse and kids, was well groomed, had wonderful communication and personality skills, and also had various investments (e.g. IRA's, money market funds, CD's, stocks) they would be considered a decent person on todays society regardless of color. And, people will continue to segregate into different classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 01:52:00 PM 

Quote:
On 2001-04-25 15:12, Loke wrote:
Norway is NOT a part of Sweden!
Not that I care about nationality much, but being called Swedish is generally considered an insult in Norway.......
We are a free and beautiful country and don't want Sweden to take credit for all the whales and wolves we kill...... lol

I was referring to land's collectively, and how generally Finland, Norway, and Sweden are referred to as Scandanavia.

I'm an evil white 1/2 Swedish, the other half being a conglomerate of a bunch of mixed backgrounds. I think my grandmother was either half or quarter Native American, Algonquin I believe....I am I be I am I be I am I be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 05:42:00 PM 

i usually answer with whatever your mind preconcieved me to be is probably wrong but it'll do for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/26/01 01:15:00 PM 

Mvilla... u brought up a good point...
true kats are judged on social class, income, residence and all that BS... does that really make up who a person is...
that's kinda what i was gettin' at... u kno... especially if u judge urself or others by race... that's like saying "i'm a black man" and that's it like that's all u r... people ask u what u are, most people say "i'm mexican" or white or Indian or whatever nation or ethnicity u come from... ok, so now they kno ur skin color and ur GENERAL/BROAD place of origin... that's all they know... someone asks me what am i, i say "i'm muslim"... now they know what type of person i am, my beliefs and general values... it's much more efficient, rewarding and appropriate to generalize people on their mind, and not their color, income, residence etc. know what i mean?
PEACE

The First, The Last, The One, The Only, "THE CHOSEN"

"Manifested by the Word!"

-The Manifest

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/30/01 06:49:00 PM 

race = a SOCIAL CONSTRUCT...a EURO-CENTRIC invention made in hopes of placing us into these neat little packages that we all can't humanly fit into...

I've always had qualms about 'race' and my ethnicity also. Because of my heritage and because of my parents, I am Filipino-American. However, what makes me this, besides my history?

Upon first meeting me, most people can't even *tell* what the heck I am...I get all sorts of sh*t. I get mistaken for Hispanic often, I've been called Thai, half-white, Persian...you name it. I don't even speak my native tongue anymore so when I do come across Filipinos, they tend to shun me. Or worse yet, they don't even acknowledge me if I don't *look* like them.

So it's hard to identify with a certain 'race'/ethnicity for me, even though the Filipino *culture* and *beliefs* are deeply embedded in my life. Don't get me wrong, I have strong brown pride, but if I was originally adopted by white parents or Hispanic parents and still looked the same way I do now, I'd still have the same outlook. Sad to say, but the appearance, beyond social class or income or *anything*, is society's means of 'racializing'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/30/01 09:42:00 PM 

the ruling hierarchy has always pitted people against each other through incresing racial stress to prevent a formation of unity, giving the possibility for rebellion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 08:40:00 AM 

"Sad to say, but the appearance, beyond social class or income or *anything*, is society's means of 'racializing"

True dat

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 08:50:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-04-25 01:02, mvilla wrote:
Benwa,

Ignorant people think that being Italian or French doesn't make them white, however European descendants are white. There's two types of white people which are white Caucasians and there's the white hispanics. White Caucasians include English, Italians, French, Swedish, etc.. White hispanics include anyone that has Spanish blood including Cubans, Puerto Rican etc...

OK, natives caught in the spanish inquisition were and ARE not caucasion... they are MEXICAN, PUERTO RICAN, CUBAN, ETC. ---i guess not understanding the pride we have in this you wouldn't be able to respect this value. I think devalidating these dynamics about those cultures really shows ignorance from other perspectives. They say it's ignorant to disassociate yourself with trivial situations that are a matter of opinion, but really, it's a common FACT that hispanics will take offense to be catigorized with the people that destroyed our land and our culture. There was evolution in the Spanish presence, there was destuction in Americas. I seperate the Spanish from european-caucasions, but thats me being ignorant and un-white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 09:57:00 PM 

Memo-Xen,

Mexicans and Puerto Ricans aren't a race but an ethnic group. If you study enough just on Mexicans, the people themselves are mixed with various bloods like Aztec and Spanish. I should know since I am part of that group. When it comes to Puerto Ricans, they are a wider mix of races, too. Even Jamaicans have Spanish blood. If you look at a real Spaniard from Spain, they aren't dark but white. But, what classifies them as Hispanic is the language they speak which is Spanish. Race wasn't based on color but on the origins of the person. Nah mean? There's even white Africans. African isn't a black colored race but a multi-color race just like the Hispanic race. I live in the most Hispanic/latin population in the US and I seen all shades of color in Hispanic people. Recognize them as a race not a color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 05:09:00 AM 

i see them as neither shade or dialect, i see them as a culture... and it is not of the caucasion persuasion. Of course Spaniards are white complexion, but i don't consider them white... i think culture has more of a distinguishing characteristic. Caucasion is a subtracting denomination when applied to the ideology that hispanics are of their own culture, at least it is to me.
It's condesending (at least for Mexico) for them (possesing spanish blood) to be considered as european bastard children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 12:17:00 PM 

Hey MEMO,(excuse me fellas)*pulls up a chair*
Uhhhh Memo, are you hispanic, or were you raised by hispanics? If you were only raised by hispanics, why would you care?, and if you don't realize by now that Mayans were bead makers, and my people drove you east of what is now Michuacan why would you hate the Spanish if my AZTEC ancestors had a history of slaughtering your peeps? Hhate the natives too, don't be trendy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 12:27:00 PM 

I am of directo mayan dissent, as well as Spanish, and yeah, that makes me a natural enemy of Aztecs. Hate aztecs, nope. They were of that land and conflict was inevitable just as birds of feathers. And please don't be so silly as to label some of the most heralded natural scientists since the Egyptians simple "bead makers"... thats trendy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 01:00:00 PM 

hmmm i don't like calling myself hispanic because thats a spanish term,im not all spanish,im half mayan aztek or whatever i might be right,plus spanish people were mixed themselves at the time they were like turkish and muslim so i honestly don't know my exact roots,but I know my present roots and my parents roots,i define myself and want to learn every culture...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 01:04:00 PM 

yet I always feel the urge to fight for my "people"(which is everybody)but,constant negatives against my people(since no one else cares its either a black or white problem)make's me the Mexican rebel...fighting for the common good putos,

drive carefully this saturday memo,peace

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-05-02 16:06 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 11:31:00 AM 

i hear that cousin, you do the same

Shit, i won't even be drivin on that day kid

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 12:44:00 PM 

Memo's unemployed ass don't even have a car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 01:09:00 PM 

i make plenty of money off so-called shakers
in Los Angelas, askin me to draw portraits
of them leather down getting anally harrassed.

hey, it ain't 90210... but it's a living