Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - NIKE/SWEATSHOPS

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/14/19 01:55:16 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/24/01 06:18:00 AM 

Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by
submitting a word or phrase which they will stitch onto your shoes, under the swoosh. So Jonah Peretti filled out the form and sent them $50 to stitch "sweatshop" onto his shoes.

Here's the responses he got... fun and games with Nike...

nikeid_personalize@nike.com>
To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'" peretti@media.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000

Your NIKE iD order was cancelled for one or more of the following reasons:
1) Your Personal iD contains another party's
trademark or other intellectual
property
2) Your Personal iD contains the name of an
athlete or team we do not have the legal right to use
3) Your Personal iD was left blank. Did you not want any personalization?
4) Your Personal iD contains profanity or
inappropriate slang, and besides,your mother would slap us.

If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new personalization please visit us again at http://www.nike.com

Thank you, NIKE iD

To: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
Greetings,

My order was canceled but my personal NIKE ID does not violate any of the criteria outlined in your message. The Personal iD on my custom ZOOM XC USA running shoes was the word "sweatshop."
Sweatshop is not:
1) another's party's trademark,
2) the name of an athlete,
3) blank, or
4) profanity.

I choose the iD because I wanted to remember the toil and labor of the children that made my shoes.

Could you please ship them to me immediately.
Thanks and Happy New Year, Jonah Peretti

Dear NIKE iD Customer,

Your NIKE iD order was cancelled because the ID you have chosen contains, as stated in the previous e-mail correspondence, "inappropriate slang".
If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new personalization please visit us again at nike.com

Thank you, NIKE iD

Dear NIKE iD,
Thank you for your quick response to my inquiry about my custom ZOOM XC USA running shoes. Although I commend you for your prompt customer service, I disagree with the claim that my personal iD was inappropriate slang. After consulting Webster's Dictionary, I discovered that
"sweatshop" is in fact part of standard English, and not slang.
The word means: "a shop or factory in which
workers are employed for long hours at low wages and under unhealthy conditions" and its origin dates from 1892. So my personal iD does meet the criteria detailed in your first email. Your web site advertises that the NIKE iD program is "about freedom to choose and freedom to express who
you are." I share Nike's love of freedom and
personal expression. The site also says that "If you want it done right...build it yourself." I was thrilled to be able to build my own shoes, and my
personal iD was offered as a small token of
appreciation for the sweatshop workers poised to help me realize my vision. I hope that you will value my freedom of expression and reconsider your decision to reject my order.

Thank you, Jonah Peretti

Dear NIKE iD Customer,

Regarding the rules for personalization it also states on the NIKE iD web site that "Nike reserves the right to cancel any personal iD up to 24 hours after it has been submitted". In addition, it further explains: "While we honor most personal
iDs, we cannot honor every one. Some may be or contain) other's trademarks, or the names of certain professional sports teams, athletes or celebrities that Nike does not have the right to use. Others may contain material that we consider inappropriate or simply do not want to place on our products. Unfortunately, at times this obliges us to decline personal iDs that may otherwise seem unobjectionable. In any event, we will let you know if we decline your personal iD,
and we will offer you the chance to submit
another." With these rules in mind, we cannot accept your order as submitted. If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new personalization please
visit us again at http://www.nike.com

Thank you, NIKE iD

<nikeid_personalize@nike.com>

Dear NIKE iD,

Thank you for the time and energy you have spent on my request. I have decided to order the shoes with a different iD, but I would like to make one small
request. Could you please send me a color
snapshot of the ten-year-old Vietnamese girl who makes my shoes?
Thanks,

Jonah Peretti

JUST DO IT

(no response)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/24/01 07:00:00 AM 

That's some crazy stuff! is it true though?
i read that Nike sneakers that we pay like 100 dollars for actually cost no more than two dollars to make. pretty wack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/24/01 07:45:00 AM 

VERY sad but TRUE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/24/01 07:51:00 AM 

for real ducksauce, when I was in Korea you could buy Jordans for $20 and the guys selling them were still making a huge profit.:sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 07:48:00 AM 

Ducksauce,

Shoes cost more than 2 dollars to manufacture. Maybe the physical labor and material costs a few dollars. But, companies like Nike have to pay their board of directors, marketers, their HR department, IT department, their legal department, their distributors etc... All that counts as cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 09:41:00 AM 

Monopolies misallocate their resources and price and quantity is found on the firms graph.A monopoly uses the profit maximazation principle mr = mc to find quantity and then where ever the set quanity hits the demand curve sets the price. So while a Nike does have fixed and variable costs, it still restricts it output and charges a high price.

Also the Nike id no longer allows a person to type in more than 8 letters and sweatshop is one letter too much. Looks like Nike took care of that problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 10:43:00 AM 

mvilla: NIKE makes MORE than enough considering the extreme profit margin born from enlisting CHILDREN to do hard labor for pennies

:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/25/01 12:57:00 PM 

unorthodox_measures,

The sweatshops are also affecting us United States citizens. It takes away many jobs from American workers. So, it leaves thousands of Americans unemployed. That takes away state and federal income taxes which lowers the government's gross income. Also, since these cooperations have their warehouses and manufacturing plants overseas's, they aren't paying American property tax, too. That tax money takes away from many government funds needed to maintain our cities country wide. So, that affections us 300 million US citizens. Also, since there's less tax money we are stuck with higher taxes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvilla on 2001-04-25 16:00 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/06/01 09:15:00 PM 

i'm not gonna shit on nike for wanting to take advantage of all the economic benefits that come from cheaper labor outside of the u.s. what i am gonna shit on are the poor working conditions, etc. that we know all these factory workers have to endure. as far as profit allocation, nike isn't the only one living under dreaded beauracracy...many other large corporations that don't do a majority of their production oversees also succumb to this. so again, the 'beef' or the only problem i see with nike is this inhumanity, and the mistreatment of these workers. it's kinda hard to work around this, and to expose these factory workers to this concept of labor rights when they've been so used to communist rule and a lack of worth ethic. (i.e. rewards.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/11/01 06:53:00 AM 

thankyou unorthodox..it is sad but true that alotta people don't know about all the bullshit that goes on in this capitalistic system. or they choose to ignore..mad props to you for bringin this up..peeps need to educate themselves and find truth. knowledge is power
::stay true::

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/11/01 07:21:00 PM 

think of it like this.... if there paying there imployees and every1 who they need to pay so much money... for all the pairs of shoes they make and the materials they recieve in bulk to produce the shoe... it IS probably about 2 dollars...