Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Mvilla (or whoever else uses unix)

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 08/25/19 08:07:21 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/10/01 09:59:00 PM 

so what exactly do you use unix for? or should i say linux? i have it on my computer and i have about 8 manuels and one huge book on how to use it and whatnot but i never found the need to really. i guess those who aren't really into computers has no use for it right...?
but nevertheless i wanted to see if maybe you could help me out through this crap. i also have a book on learning c++ so if you could give me some motivation or a goal then that'd really help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 08:26:00 PM 

AAAAHHHH please i need a teacher...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/13/01 01:05:00 PM 

Unix is an enterprise level operating system. It's primary used for servers such as web-servers, mail servers, ftp servers, name servers, newsgroups servers, database servers etc...

Unix has many advantages over Windows and Mac based operating systems. Apple actually based its latest operating system on FreeBSD (a Unix variant) that's very robust. Many enterprises run their mission critical applications on UNIX or Linux platforms. Enterprises that use Windows based servers deal with serious issues such as vulnerabilities that's a serious issue among Window NT/2000 administrators.

UNIX has more programming languages than Windows. Languages like PERL, PHP, TCL/TK, and Python has put UNIX on top of the list for the platform to develop applications on. And, since Sun (A unix vendor) developed Java, it has made UNIX the perfect candidate to run mission critical applications. Some of those languages have been ported to Windows but they are sometimes different than the UNIX version. Like when someone uses PHP in Windows, they can communicate to COM objects. You can't do that in Unix. And since the filesystem on Windows and UNIX are both different, disk I/O is handled differently.

The only problem with UNIX is that it has a learning curve that people dislike. For example, UNIX users are custom to use the command line for various tasks. It's like using DOS but more powerful. There is a graphic user interface called X Windows and OpenWindows that can be installed on a desktop running UNIX or Linux. I don't use X Windows or OpenWindows since I don't need it. I can handle administration tasks through the command line (the shell) and it works fine. I can remotely login to the machine from any computer via telnet. It's great that way.

I've had UNIX servers running on Sun Microsystem hardware up and running for over 370 days without a reboot. With Windows you are lucky if you can go a week without a reboot.

UNIX runs on RISC chip architecture. Windows only runs on Intel architecture. RISC is certainly faster than Intel based x86 chips. Linux can run on RISC and x86 chips.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvilla on 2001-07-13 16:07 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/13/01 02:38:00 PM 

yeh my dad has a sun microsystems computer. he only runs unix on that. i reboot every hour if i'm lucky... haha stupid p.o.s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/13/01 08:40:00 PM 

linux/unix, is kind of cool cuz you can make scripts to make the world a whole lot easier....like doing scripts to .tar stuff (that's similar to .zip in a way), and it's INSANELY better for multitasking....you can find programs to make windows look like linux..i don't know the exact site, but when i find out, i'll pm you are something...

c++, err, i hated when i took that class...it's much more robust then c, that's for sure...i guess you can do programs that'll make live easier, like i have had friends make programs that simulate airline departure and arrival, i've personally helped develop a program that simulates basic commands of unix, also stuff like playing poker....it takes a lot of work and patience though..if you want the code, let me know i'll send you copy's of that shit...peace....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/13/01 09:28:00 PM 

yeh no doubt. hit me up with it.