Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - The Salvation Army and Bush

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 08/25/19 10:40:26 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/11/01 12:25:00 PM 

I read an article today in the post on how The Salvation Army and Bush are in allegience with one another on the rejection of equal rights for gays in the work place. They are in a cooperative to stunt government funding for "non-profit" groups that abide by anti-discrimination laws!! Bush can maintain his predjudice by supporting this plan with out being directly in the limelight causing too much political controversy. The Salvation Army, in a 74 page document, states a need for low profile handling of this matter for fear of intolerance and lack of donations by the liberal public. SNAKES. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/11/01 06:41:00 PM 

what do u expect bush is a dumb jackass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Quez Quadraphonic on 2001-07-11 21:42 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 05:16:00 AM 

Of course...what bothered me most was The Salvation Army's take on it. Next time one of those biggots, dressed in a santa costume, ringin a bell, tries to get a donation outta me on my way out the grocery store, I'm gonna steal em in their jaw. (nah...but for real, they're gonna get an earful)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 05:58:00 AM 

this is what you mentioned last night? okay, im not defending Bush at all but the Salvation Army is an affiliate of my Association. I work very closely with the headquarters on EEO and Affirmative Action programs...do you have a link for this article? I'd be very curious...

Most non-profit organizations have a Legislative stance on issues and I would be VERY surprised if the Salvation Army was support an anti-gay employment angle. Hit me up with a link please...:grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 07:23:00 AM 

kisa: yea, it was in Tuesday's paper...I did not read it online...but you can probably look it up in archives. the whole point of the article is how they want to save face by not letting this story hit big media, i.e broadcast news...keeping their image pure and desirable for donations...maybe shocking, but it's true, I'm sure you can find it because it's actually a bill they (T.S.A. and Bush) are trying to pass... BOO

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 07:37:00 AM 

I found it in the Post:

Earlier in the day, White House officials said they were considering a request from the Salvation Army, the nation's largest charity, to issue a regulation that would protect government-funded religious charities from state and local laws barring workplace discrimination, including on the basis of sexual orientation.

The White House retreat followed a report in yesterday's Washington Post that, according to an internal Salvation Army document, the White House had made a "firm commitment" to issue a regulation protecting government-funded religious charities from hiring discrimination laws. At the same time, the Salvation Army agreed to use its clout as the nation's largest charity to boost Bush's "faith-based" initiative. The charity plans to spend between $88,000 and $110,000 per month to support the effort.

"It is important that The [Salvation] Army's support for the White House's activities occur simultaneously with efforts to achieve The Army's objectives," the document said. "The White House has already said that they are committed to move on The Army's objectives when the legislation carrying the charitable choice provisions passes the House of Representatives."

Even after the White House backed down late yesterday, Democratic leaders in the House said they would proceed with an investigation into whether the White House had agreed to allow the Salvation Army and other charities to discriminate against gays, in exchange for the Salvation Army's support for the Bush faith-based initiative.

Last night, administration officials said their rapid review of the matter convinced them that existing law, along with legislation now before Congress, is sufficient to protect religious charities from anti-discrimination laws.
"These protections ensure that religious organizations have the right to hire individuals who share their religious faith," the statement said.

Gay rights groups reacted angrily to news of the Salvation Army's claims, and opponents of the initiative hoped the flap would sink Bush's proposal. Ralph G. Neas, president of the liberal group People for the American Way, said the matter "offers strong evidence that the administration's so-called 'faith-based' proposal would imperil fundamental rights."

The controversy comes at a time when the White House has been working assiduously to make its legislation more palatable to opponents. The administration has expressed support for several amendments to the legislation that would strengthen the line between charities' religious and secular activities. Those amendments cleared the House Judiciary Committee recently.

Another component of the initiative, allowing those who don't itemize their taxes to deduct charitable contributions, is scheduled to be taken up by the House Ways and Means Committee today. Members of Congress have floated various proposals -- including a cap and a floor on contributions that could be deducted -- to reduce the cost of the measure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That last paragraph is probablly the Salvations Armys TRUE reasoning behind the initiative. Its a compounded and extensive load of shit...their reasoning is that Christian Fundamental groups want to be able to say "no I can not hire you because you are not of our faith" that obviously if you are gay you are can not be a good religious/christian :lol:

Don't worry, it will never get past congress, it fundamentally intrudes on civil rights based on religion...thats a no no and wont fly no matter who is president. He's such a sneaky little bastard.

thanks for bringing it to my attention :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 08:02:00 AM 
the wackness!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 08:18:00 AM 

what do you expect though... Salvation Army is a christian organization, of course they are not going to be supportive of gay rights. They would be against Gay rights even if bush wasnt around.

just thought it made sense, figuring that they are a Missionary Outreach program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/12/01 09:22:00 AM 

*shakes head*

snake in the grass

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/13/01 08:08:00 PM 

thats weird if they don't want it to be that well-known then why have it in a paper...
some of my friends that are gay said they are christians, i never thought that their sexuality may be against the religion they claim.