Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Slang and curses

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 09/20/19 11:23:09 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 12:19:00 PM 

Some people say that using slang and cursing a lot is a sign of low intelligence. Do you believe this?

Curses: maybe, because curses are mainly filler words when people cant think of a word, so instead of saying "I'm going to buy an aquarium ," people say, "I'm going to buy a fucking, fucking, that shit, oh yeah, an aquarium." In that case, cursing is a sign of low intelligence.

As far as slang, I dont think so b/c slang is like an accent, different regions have different way of speaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 12:23:00 PM 

Curses, "like", "um", etc are all fillers. Excessive use definitely comments on one's articulation. It shows a lazy mind, but not necessarily (a lack of) intelligence, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 12:27:00 PM 

i agree.

P.S.- what's IMO mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 12:30:00 PM 
hmmz...the use of pidgen (broken english) in hawaii is made up with a lot of different cultural slangs, words, and shortkuts. since hawai'i is so diverse in cultures becuz of immigrants coming to work as plantation workers, it was a way for them to communicate with eachother hence the meaning of "broken english."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/09/01 01:15:00 PM 

Some slang shows some creativity if you make up your own. Curses are used as filler, but also used if your angry, Fuck is a satisfying word to say, seriously.

And IMO means in my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/10/01 02:44:00 AM 

That's true about the satisfaction you can get from an occasional curse. It heightens the impact also, when you dont pepper ever sentence with expletives...

I also agree about the slang. If anything I look at my speech as a signature, and that includes employing my own vernacular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/10/01 11:10:00 PM 

Quote:
On 2001-07-10 05:44, Leffield wrote:
dont pepper ever sentence with expletives...

I like that.
hahaha

I have been seriously trying to cut down on my use of profanities.

Using curse words can also be used to their prohibition. I would get in trouble if I used one growing up. Therefor, when i went to college and didn't see my parents (also on my rowing team we would have to do 25 push-ups everytime we swore) I let the cursing fly.

Not due to low intelligence, but as an immature means of protest and a personal show of freedom (to my self of course).

Now they are unfortunately tough to shed. When surrounded by a group of my peers I tend to swear a bit (not as much as I used to). I get embarassed when I catch myself now because I know the words are useless. They don't add any emotion because they are so over-used now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/11/01 10:02:00 AM 

swearin will always be seen as wrong because some people will always find it offencive, in my eyes they all weak ass bitches. you cant tell some1 how to fuckin talk.......or can u?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/11/01 10:50:00 AM 

The purpose of cursing is to be offensive, vulgar and disrespectful. Think about it...when do you curse at someone as a compliment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/11/01 12:57:00 PM 

"the shit"

Quote:
On 2001-07-11 13:50, Leffield wrote:
The purpose of cursing is to be offensive, vulgar and disrespectful. Think about it...when do you curse at someone as a compliment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/11/01 06:39:00 PM 

curse words are only seen as a lack of intelegence because of they are precieved as negative words. (and personally i don't see what why they are precieved that way). people say that curse words are only said if u can't think of a better word to say but half the time that curse word perfectly discribes what u are feeling.
example: "Fuck You" or "that song is a piece of shit"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/13/01 08:45:00 PM 

exactly, people say they lack intellegience or whatever but they really just convey emotion.
when you use certain curse words like "the shit" as a compliment like what was said above, would that make the curse word now fit in with being used as/like slang?