Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - housing projects across america

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/19/19 08:42:19 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 02:18:00 PM 

i just read this article in urban latino magazine about the projects and it was really good. first all i agree with what the author had to say. basically it sucks that a lot of people who live or are raise in the projects feel that there is no other place to be than the pjs, they dont realize there is a whole other world just beyond the big buildings. i know many people like that, i was raised in the pjs. let me know what you guys think. if you want to read the article they have a site urbanlatino.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 03:05:00 PM 

Theres a lot of kids on the southside of Chicago in low-income housng that have no idea that there is a gigantic body of water 6 blocks away called Lake Michigan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 05:32:00 PM 

just cause they live in the projects, dont mean they cant leave them....so it's their fault if they never ventured out to see the lake.

it's poor planning by careless people that put these kids in such predicaments anyway...for the most part atleast, and for the ones who are there struggling and working to make life better for the kids, i feel for them....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 07:31:00 PM 

Mesa think about what you just said about the kids in projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 07:55:00 PM 

History says that cities like CHicago were built with racial segregation in mind. In other words, areas and people were purposely divided according to race and creed. Pretty messed up. I've never been to Chicago but I assume that this still effects social relations there til this day.

When I was young I used to think the PJs were for the higher-class b/c they were so tall. LOL at myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 08:12:00 PM 

thought about,

AND?

i didnt say anything like, f*ck a projeck kid or anything, i was making a statement about lousy idiot parents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 09:49:00 PM 

Modern day section 8 buildings are nicer than what the middle class people live in! Lucky bastards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 06:22:00 AM 

duck that was the idea when the projects were made in nyc. seperated the lower income class from the areas that were being renovated. most people lived in tenemant house in the 40s and 50s the houses were destroyed to build highways and skyscrapers and the projects were made to house the people left homeless. they also discriminated against who was allowed in the projects when the buildings were first made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 08:25:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-05-01 22:55, Ducksauce wrote:
When I was young I used to think the PJs were for the higher-class b/c they were so tall. LOL at myself.

I was born in Kentland, MD...more like garden style ghetto and also always thought when we went to NY that those were the nice places cuz they were so big...LOL at myself too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 08:35:00 AM 

Kentlands? that place is GARDEN GHETTO FABULOUS, i grew up in Wheaton.

Sections 8 housing is in no way beneficial to the demograph it was originally intended to fascilitate. In DC these housing projects are bought out by BIG "urban" real estate (whom i used to work for) and are left vacant for overly extended periods of time, while many families awaiting public assistance remain homeless. Then, after entire blocked sections are finally purchesed and renovated, these buildings are then made unobtainable by the same income class because of high income expansion throughout the city, forcing low income families into the outskirts where i used to live. (not a pretty sight)
don't see any lucky folks in this scenario at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 10:03:00 AM 

Yeah you DC heads live in the Nation's worst ghetto. I never seen so many projects in my life. It looks like they have tracked projects across there like a PJ town. hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 10:23:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-05-02 13:03, mvilla wrote:
Yeah you DC heads live in the Nation's worst ghetto. I never seen so many projects in my life. It looks like they have tracked projects across there like a PJ town. hahaha.

:lol: most of them aren't even ghettos, we just got that look, old red brick rowhouses and garden apartments w/tiny windows...but they aren't even close to the real shit in Chi-town and NYC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 10:31:00 AM 

wrong.

they've BEEN cited as the MOST racist nationwide, hands fucking down. The way they treat these people is sickening to see first hand.
I used to live in South East DC, the areas
finest human DUMP site to date. The urban surface sweep throughout the innercity has everything filter into the S.E. District... then pour into the outskirts even more notorious for it's murder capita.
the term "Chocolate City" has no positive connotation whatsoever, it's self-destructive the way they have us thinking here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Memo-Xen on 2001-05-02 13:33 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 12:23:00 PM 

I think baltimore is more ghetto than DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 01:21:00 PM 

finally a voice of reason i couldn't fucken agree with you more. not only is it a sad situation but its repeatatious. the cycle does not end. the guns, drugs, dropouts and the teenage mothers. it all starts in the home like i said i was raised in the projects but my parents do not have that mentality and they made damn sure i dont have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 02:04:00 PM 

I think faulting the parents Mesa is the incorrect route to say it plainly. Actually faulting anyone for the lack of knowledge is a pth leading no where, but there are programs independently going on in Chicago to expose kids to different areas.

A lot of the low-income housing that may appear nicer than middleclass housing Mvilla is actually a facade.
1st- taking people out of low-income housing and relocating them to other types of housing requires a adjusting training period, because these people have never lived in locations where they had to deal with sheetrock, and that it will break easily. A lot of people FAILED these tests, and were relocated to other housing projects in chicago.
2nd- A lot of times these houses/apartment buildings are actually DESIGNED FOR PEOPLE TO NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD THEM, like the walls will be a low grade of insulation, so to stay warm they turn the heat up and to maintain a good temp it costs too much. This is another tactic of evicting people from housing without the landlords appearing as "the bad guys."
3rd- The United Center set an unpresidented standard when they relocated people out of low-income housing by building them good houses. Its a head trip, seeing thrashed cars in suburban style housing setups, then realizing you're 10 minutes from downtown...

Chicago is the 2nd most segregated city in the United States. (first is Gary, Indiana.) The Robert Taylor Homes (i believe the largest project housing complex in chicago) were put up by Daley to segregate blacks from whites, like a line drawn from Southside slums to the loop, and then up to lincoln park and gold Coast lifestyle (rich as hell.)

A common question ive heard is how people can live in these buildings. The truth is most have no choice. Community is also formed in these buildings between people, creating a difference in opinion between youth and the older. Youth want out, older people dont want change.

Trivia question- What is Cabrini Green, and what is its history?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 02:31:00 PM 

Trivia Answer:
Cabrini Green is a housing project in Chicago which was known for it violence, drugs and gangs. There are plans to knock it down and go through an urban renewal project. People who lived in Cabrini are being forced out of their homes and those that stay will have to go through a transition period with their wealthier neighbors. So land in Cabrini-Green is extremely valuable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 04:21:00 PM 

that aint its history though....

I was referring to its older history, but yeah Voltron's right. Cabrini was a place where it was a stopping off point to live for low-class people to middle class. It was the most diverse neighborhood in Chicago, it was the first community with a neighborhood watch program, but most importantly, it wasn't a ghetto. It wasnt the nicest area of Chicago, the buildings built were for lower-class people and maximized but kids played in the streets and it was a safe area.

I know a housing contractor who designs low income housing who ive learned a lot of this stuff from. He told me all that Cabrini stuff and he was all like "if you ever hear cabrini was always a ghetto, its a damn lie." Smart dude.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: benwa on 2001-05-02 20:11 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/01 05:13:00 PM 

Quote:
On 2001-05-02 00:49, mvilla wrote:
Modern day section 8 buildings are nicer than what the middle class people live in! Lucky bastards.

not in chicago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 04:49:00 AM 

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kisapele on 2001-05-03 08:05 ]</font>