Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - housing projects across america

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/13/19 05:50:30 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 08:57:00 AM 

Peace

Thanks for posting all of that great info benwa, now I can deal with other things.

To understand chicago one must come see it first hand, its unlike any other place ive ever been to, and ive been to almost every major american city. As benwa said its a very segregated city, almost to a rediculous sense. Ive lived here all my life, and to be honest with you I dont realize it that much because im conditioned to it, however when one goes to other places, its quite clear. Chicago is broken down like this.

The North Side: The north side is where the wealthiest people in chicago live. It is basically an all white area whith exceptions here and there. Anything north of downtown is considered the north side. Everything from the lake west till about western is white, once you past western you have various ethnic areas such as logan square, humbolt park ect. These areas are considered the north west side, and are primarely hispanic or philipino depending on har far north you are. Unlike the eastern part of the north side these areas are not very wealthy, they are mainly low-middle class.

Downtown: Chicagos downtown is in the middle of the city. Chicago has no east side because the lake is the eastern most area of the city. The lake marks east, everything west of downtown is the west side, everything south of downtown is the south side ect. Downtown is mainly a commercial area, with big stores hotels, various forms of entertainment ect. There are condominiums and apartment buildings however these are reserved for the wealthy, and the majority are white. Because of the commercial nature of the area, one can spot people of various ethnic and economic classes here on a daily basis. Cabrini green rests on the north west border of downtown, literally minutes away from the famous sears tower, it is one of the most notorious housing projects in the country, however compared to others in the city it is one of the smallest, though still reletively large in actual size.

The south side: Mainly black, while the southwest side is dominated by hispanics. The southside is a weird area. Strange because it is a huge ghetto that has been going through a radical transformation. Why? because of the land. The majority of the projects in chicago were built on the south side. You have ida b. wells, madden park , the "ickies" , deaborn homes, south commons, and the largest housing project in the world, the robert taylor complex reffered to as "state way housing projects". I know many of you are thinking that ive only named like four complexes, how can it be that bad. Well let me give you a little picture. Robert taylor is nick-named stateway because it runs down state street on the south side for a straight 2 miles, thats 16 city blocks of nothing but projects, and thats on lenght, the complex itself is blocked into a area about 3 blocks deep. Now it gets worse, cause these arent the smaller projects like you have in detroit and new york that are typically 7-9 stories high. The rober taylor homes consist of 28 identical 16 story buildings holding 28,000 people, this population being 99% black with a average income of $5,000 a year. You really have to see a photo of stateway to comprehend the sure size of this housing complex, its absolutely rediculous, its so large it has its own police precient.

As I stated earlier the south side has been undergoing a transformation. This is because many of the projects that I named with the exception of robert taylor(stateway) and dearborn homes, are litterally 2-3 blocks off the lake, this is prime real-estate, and the city wants to sell it to developers to make money, which means destroying the projects, and I dont mean some, they are doing it all over the city. Remember what common said on respiration "some of this land i must own, out of the city, they want us gone, tearing down the jects we ate in plush homes...." So the plan is this, they are tearing down all the projects, relocating them and the people to the suburbs and the wealthy whites are moving into newly build homes, condos, and apartments, where ghettos once stood.

The south side is completely black from 35th street all the way south to 125th street, which is the city limits. There is one integrated area on the south side and that is the hyde park/kenwood/woodlawn area, which is where the university of chicago is. Its a bubble of sorts, a very nice, upper middle class integrated, culturally rich area, surrounded by the ghetto. Benwa has experienced this, cause after a certain time at night, it is very difficult to safely ans swiftly get out of the area, cause almost all public transportation to the area stops or becomes infrequent after about 11pm -12am.

West side: The west side of chicago is just one huge slum, there is nothing there but crim and poverty. I dont even go over there, because there just isnt any point. It is totally black.

So where do all the asians and other ethnic groups live? In little segregated pockets around the city. Most asians live in either china town which is on 22nd and cermack on the south side( the most segregated shit you will see in your life, the "ickies" are half a block away on all four corners of china town yet no blacks venture into china town and no asians venture out) little vietnam which is on the north side on sheridan and argyle or lincoln park, which is an area on the north side much like hyde park except the people there are rich and its not surrounded by a ghetto. Hispanics live in logan square as i stated earlier or around ashland on the south side, as well as several other pockets here and there. Other ethnic groups dont usually reside in large numbers in the city, they live in the suburbs and commute.

So why is chicago the way it is? Why is it so segregated and divided? Because thats the way it was designed by the first daily in the 50's and 60's. Chicago has many railroad tracks that cross streets in the form of viadocks. These viadocks were the barriers of neighborhoods. If you lived in one neighborhood you didnt cross the viadock into the other neighborhood cause you were not wanted there. Even though much racial tension has subsided this is still visible in the bridgeport (south side, mostly irish, just west of the dan ryan experessway and comisky park.)area of the city which both daleys are from. So these viadocks and projects outlined certain areas in the city for certain people, and that is what divided everything, and thats they way its been ever since. Gangs also arose in these areas, and during the 60's and 70's the gangs protected the neighborhoods from oppresion racism, hate crimes, or unwanteds. They were not the way gangs are now, competing in crime ect. Once the black power movements were squashed, the gangs corrupted, and the civil rights movement over, the gangs remained, and protected these areas as their turf. This philosophy is still extremely prevelant today in chicago, which of course contributes greatly to the segregation.

Dont get me wrong by all of this, we are talking about the negative issues of the cities we live in, we are talking about the ghettos and the jects, and the slums, so im pointing them out, the city has just as many nice areas as bad, however most nice ones are white, and bad ones are black, these are things you just need to know.

Chicagos history in general is just weird , the areas which are ghettos now, and where projects stand like the "low end" (ida b wells south common, and madden park area)where I grew up were once havens for rich whites. If you drive down king drive from 35-51st. You will see huge brownstones, these were once owned by whites, and the old decrepid hotels which remain in the area were once 5 star ones owned and controled by Al capone. Its funny, theres this crack/hore house hotel named the Ritz on my old block, which once hosted performances by billy holiday , duke ellington, and satchmno, now they host infidelity murder, robbery, and poverty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 10:54:00 AM 

....yup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 01:08:00 PM 

I thought the inital plan was to renovate and replace the 25,000 housing projects in Chicago with mixed-income housing.?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't a lot of the housing projects in industrial districts of the city where they produce high levels of emit toxic air emissions? If that's the case, those residents should sue the living shit out of those companies in Chicago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 03:35:00 PM 

Yeah theyre evicting most of the people, gave them Section 8 housing vouchers, told em they could move anywhere in the city. What the city didnt tell them was there are very few places in the city they can move to, and there real option is the suburbs.

there IS a large problem with toxic air, and also abestos (sp) in the housing complexes as well as factories where these people work, but you gotta realize- you sue somebody inthe financial situation these people are in you risk losing your house, your job, food for your family, none have really stepped up to the plate to do it yet, although there is a good chance that Brach's candy warehouse (approx. 2.5 million square feet, this place is huge) is fighting not to have the company moved to Cordova, Argentina. They have large amounts of abestos (sp) there, and they are very firm on fighting this move, so they may sue.

...man, Chicago's just really fucked up for real.....i could go on forever.....its still dope though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/04/01 06:10:00 AM 

speaking of housing projects across america, there's this book that i REALLY wanna get.. it's got over 400 pictures of ghettos throughout the U.S. ... right now, i can't think of the photographer/author's name, but the book is called 'the new american ghetto'.. came out in like 97. i think he put out another photo/picture book a year or so ago too, similar to that one. search it up on the net or ask your bookstore to get you a copy (pretty hefty pricetag though)

http://www.thedialectics.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/04/01 08:23:00 AM 

thanks for the info on the book.going to try to look for it. let you know if i suceed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/04/01 08:52:00 AM 

i bet thats a great book. Many times I have drove by housing that got the ball that day and....its just aesthetically beautiful to see....especially in the night when the building is lit up and the walls arecrumbling....i bet that book is cool as hell, ill check it out...