Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - RA Scion & Sabzi = Common Market

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 09/22/18 09:45:43 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/06/06 07:17:35 PM 

nwadaba wrote:
Mole wrote:
MarlonJackson wrote:
Villainous v.2006 wrote:
RA---> :sucka: <--- aba

as hillariously creative as that is...i doubt any of you have ever listened to him...and even if you did i doubt any of you would appreciate it for what it is, and that's fine.

Sarx rubbing off on you? Now you sound like a backpacking elitist, too. You've changed....

I have heard RA...He's good, but not nearly as good as your groupie actions make him seem. I'll say this over and over again...Seattle Hip Hop Sucks!

:ass:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/07/06 07:52:27 PM 

I peeped it. It ain't bad but it just reminds me of every other group I've seen while I was sitting at the bar drinking vodka and talking to bitches...waiting for the folks I came to see. From the 4 tracks on there it's average shit...kind of corny too. So now I can clown on your ratings.

6/5 for Connect For? C'mon dude.

nwadaba wrote:
...i doubt any of you have ever listened to him...and even if you did i doubt any of you would appreciate it for what it is, and that's fine.

After listening to some of their shit I can comfortably say, in the immortal words of Riley Freeman

Get off his dick.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/07/06 09:34:02 PM 

Big Doug wrote:
I peeped it. It ain't bad but it just reminds me of every other group I've seen while I was sitting at the bar drinking vodka and talking to bitches...waiting for the folks I came to see. From the 4 tracks on there it's average shit...kind of corny too. So now I can clown on your ratings.

nwadaba wrote:
...i doubt any of you have ever listened to him...and even if you did i doubt any of you would appreciate it for what it is, and that's fine.

After listening to some of their shit I can comfortably say, in the immortal words of Riley Freeman

Get off his dick.

Peace

Thank you! Plus dude's voice gets irritating after 3 songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/07/06 10:48:09 PM 

Big Doug wrote:

i can understand the bias in that and i'll admit it, because he ties in every uprising Seattle act in that track metaphorically, i find it superb.

Quote:

Sarx rubbing off on you? Now you sound like a backpacking elitist, too. You've changed....

I have heard RA...He's good, but not nearly as good as your groupie actions make him seem. I'll say this over and over again...Seattle Hip Hop Sucks!

this isn't even backpacker music, most backpackers won't even listen to the shit sarx listens to either, cuz he's fucking weird.

and you can think seattle hip hop sucks, but that COULD be because you've been supporting and working with artists like No Good Therapy and Eskimo Thug who are yes, sucky seattle hip hop.

i'm proud of where i'm at, and i'm proud of who i'm building with...that's all :afro: people like Ricky Pharoe, Macklemore, Cancer Rising and Common Market are flourishing the scene with raw, intellectually sound hip hop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 03:06:55 AM 

upload some Eskimo Thug!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 02:54:06 PM 

Morten. wrote:

hahaha! u gotta ask Mole for that shit...he was producing him.

now Eskimo Thug just goes to every show and tries to battle everyone, but you never can understand what the fuck he's sayin' cuz he's doing the robot the entire time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 05:01:43 PM 

nwadaba wrote:

this isn't even backpacker music, most backpackers won't even listen to the shit sarx listens to either, cuz he's fucking weird.

and you can think seattle hip hop sucks, but that COULD be because you've been supporting and working with artists like No Good Therapy and Eskimo Thug who are yes, sucky seattle hip hop.

i'm proud of where i'm at, and i'm proud of who i'm building with...that's all :afro: people like Ricky Pharoe, Macklemore, Cancer Rising and Common Market are flourishing the scene with raw, intellectually sound hip hop.

There's nothing intellectual about Ricky Pharoe and Cancer Rising will get booed at the DJ Quik show and will cry about it later.

The last great Seattle rap crew was Source of Labor and since they called it quits, Seattle hiphop has sank into a shit hole. As far as the rest of the country knows, we have Sir Mix A Lot..

Eskimo Thug changed his name!....To Omen or something, plus I haven't recorded dude since I was 16. I saw him at a teriyaki place in Burien not too long ago. He wanted to buy a mic from me...hahaha

As for No Good Therapy, Beezie is one of the best producers to come out of Seattle, Famous is dope for what he does (a hundred bucks says he can kill you in a battle) the only problem with the group is they don't sound that great together. Southern energy mixed with laid back West Coast beats isn't a great sound. But I've been listening to the Famous & Beezie album that's coming out and it's going to surprise folks. They're also providing me with a great oppurtunity by letting me record at their studio. I'm also proud of who I'm working with...Working, present tense. Not exactly proud of the folks I've worked with (Eskimo Thug, OEB) :-? But I was young then...haha[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 05:02:29 PM 

Morten. wrote:

:D I might be able to do that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 05:12:06 PM 

On a side note, Blue Scholars were out here at UCLA today (and I think it's the same producer right?) I caught the end of their set and the shit was solid. Peace to Hip Hop Appreciation Week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 05:26:23 PM 

Big Doug wrote:
On a side note, Blue Scholars were out here at UCLA today (and I think it's the same producer right?) I caught the end of their set and the shit was solid. Peace to Hip Hop Appreciation Week.

I respect those guys. I don't like their music that much though. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 05:38:01 PM 

Big Doug wrote:

yeah, they've always put it down correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 09:10:38 PM 

Morten. wrote:

hahaha, that just sounds crazy huh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/06 11:00:12 PM 

Mole wrote:
Morten. wrote:

:D I might be able to do that...

Dope!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/09/06 12:09:17 AM 

Big Doug wrote:

Big Doug wrote:

nwadaba wrote:

Get off his dick.

Peace

I dont get it... please explain something...

Blue Scholars = Solid.

Common Market= Corny.

????????

For all intent and purpose they are the same mold. Same vision. Same message. Same foolio on the 1's &2's. Same root.

So is it the vocalist's tone that seperates which is solid and which is corny?

Cuz when I listen to both RA and Geo, I hear them saying the same things, regarding context and agenda, except RA has a vastly superior vocabulary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/09/06 08:32:58 AM 

1. Vocabulary doesn't make a good MC. It's mostly the voice. RA sounds corny. RA has corny hooks. I'm really not talking about message. Dude from Blue Scholars just sounds better. You know this is music right?
2. Having the same producer doesn't mean you'll have the same quality of beats. Selection is a big part of that. All you have to do is compare Brother Ali to Atmospherhe to see that.
3. I only heard a few tracks from Blue Scholars toward the end of their set, so maybe I was premature in givng them props. I just peeped "No Rest for the Weary" on their myspace. The beat is corny. "Southside Revival" has a wack hook. So I don't know. Maybe both albums are corny. My boy bought their shit so I'll probably hear the whole thing in a few days.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/09/06 11:21:17 AM 

that Blue Scholar album is soooo boring. The beats sound so alike is scary

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/09/06 11:24:36 AM 

Shit always sounds better live.. Unless they are really wack, then it sounds as bad live, sometimes worse, than it was on the album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/09/06 07:59:37 PM 

Morten. wrote:
that Blue Scholar album is soooo boring. The beats sound so alike is scary

Yup...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/09/06 10:52:34 PM 

Big Doug wrote:
1. Vocabulary doesn't make a good MC. It's mostly the voice (OPINION?). RA sounds corny. RA has corny hooks. I'm really not talking about message. Dude from Blue Scholars just sounds better. You know this is music right?
2. Having the same producer doesn't mean you'll have the same quality of beats. Selection is a big part of that. All you have to do is compare Brother Ali to Atmospherhe to see that.
3. I only heard a few tracks from Blue Scholars toward the end of their set, so maybe I was premature in givng them props. I just peeped "No Rest for the Weary" on their myspace. The beat is corny. "Southside Revival" has a wack hook. So I don't know. Maybe both albums are corny. My boy bought their shit so I'll probably hear the whole thing in a few days.

Peace

So what a fool says isnt as important as how what it is that he is saying sounds like? That is your point/opinion, right? You could have just said "yes" to the posed question, but anyhow I appreciate the professor impersonation. Here is mine...

I compared Ali and Atmosphere.

Now what was this point #2 based on? Both Slug and Ali sound corny over good beats? Are you referring to Ant? Because Atmosphere is a group and Brother Ali is a rapper. Could you clarify that? Cuz I see a lot of similarities in Brother Ali and Ra Scion, especially vocal tone and content.

And yes, I know this is "music". And a great amount of "music", especially in the hip hop genre, has what is called vocals, regarding the sound that forms a language that contains alphabetical syntax which is created in the brain, and a lot what the artist is saying has some importance, not just how they say it. Otherwise, it would be a crazy indication of the retarded mental state of fans who bought albums where Sade sang about crayons and coloring books, 50 rapped about how to tie your shoes, and Dip Set made hooks about eating paint chips.

You do know that right? 8)

Nah, just messin, but I think it does speak volumes of the mental state of a lot of people, implicating what sells and what doesnt in the culture, when 50 talks about destructive shit and it sells bukue, and RA talks about shit that could really help society in a positive way and people go "yeah, but his voice doesnt sound tight". But it is just my opinion that that scenario is a bad one.

Of course I am admittedly biased towards artists like RA Scion, Wise Intelligent, Denizen Kane, etc... because I prefer rhymes that are redeeming in an "intrinsic thought provoking" context, not redeeming in a "what bumps", "this fool is rhyming about making threats to anyone who disrespects him or questions his street cred yet his voice sounds good over a bangin ass beat" context.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/10/06 12:01:25 AM 

What a rapper says is really more important to you than how he sounds? If you that's you but you're in the minority. Being listenable is much more important than being lyrical. It's music so it's mostly the voice. Ask around.

Regardless, the goal should be to be listenable and lyrical. That's why the Coup is one of my favorite groups ever. They're more insightful and political than your favoirite coffee shop revolutionary rappers and you can still knock their tape in your car.

And as far as the Ali vs. Atmosphere thing, the point was this: you can have the same producer, producing for two artists at the same time and still have one with much better beats. Usually what happens is producers give rappers a beat tape and let them choose which beats they want to use and so it's important that a rapper has good taste in beats. From listening to Seven's Travels and Shadows on the Sun, I came to the conclusion that Brother Ali has great taste in beats while Slug has shitty taste in beats...making for a shitty album.

Peace

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next