Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - the power of contraversy

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/07/19 07:45:00 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the power of contraversy
PostPosted: 10/30/08 01:10:06 AM 

we all know the power and deadliness on contraversy, it can build and shatter a persons whole being with ease. see, contraversy to me proves power is an illusion. how? simple. contraversy only makes the person envolved powerful due to fame or infamy. and the only reason that is ,is because the people tune in and take sides. but by drawing all attention to that person makes him known hence powerful. yet take away the attention from a quarrel , then you have but two people fighting, who to a person who is not paying attention , doesn't even exist. so do the opposite and pay attention to those fighting then they are existant simple because you are paying attention to them. mentally, liek a car crash, it could be a minor car crash to slow down the whole entire high way . and you would think from far away it must be a bad accident that has this highway blocked like this... buit when you get closer you see it is minor and the only thing stoping it up is the people slowing down to see what happened. this is just a concept in which i have been thinking about, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Post subject: Re: the power of contraversy
PostPosted: 10/31/08 07:03:31 AM 

okay cheap shot but... what is contraversy? And I'm not really sure what you are saying here... you started off with tralking bout power and controversy then a car crash?

PostPosted: 10/31/08 11:24:51 AM 

yeah..... you are right, i need to lay off of the weed, but my point is.... like a car crash draws enough attention to stop up an entire highway just for people to drive by slow lookin' to see what happened , they tune in totally, and if someone were to have a fight or have argument it would most likely draw the attention of many others, and it is also noted as a law in robert greene's 48 laws of power. it's the old biggie and pac scenario. the power of controversy. my fault about the spelling too, i went from learning english to a totally different language when i was 11 and living in a different country so i tend to mispell alot of things in english....

PostPosted: 11/01/08 02:42:07 AM 

MADDMAN wrote:
yeah..... you are right, i need to lay off of the weed, but my point is.... like a car crash draws enough attention to stop up an entire highway just for people to drive by slow lookin' to see what happened , they tune in totally, and if someone were to have a fight or have argument it would most likely draw the attention of many others, and it is also noted as a law in robert greene's 48 laws of power. it's the old biggie and pac scenario. the power of controversy. my fault about the spelling too, i went from learning english to a totally different language when i was 11 and living in a different country so i tend to mispell alot of things in english....

Ohh okay I get it now. I never studied robert greene's 48 laws of power but I'd say that if things happen without us being involved in it, like people having an argument, which has no correlation to us, than we are only an observer and as an observer it is only our free will to give any attention to what is happening, therefore if we choose not to be attracted by the argument, then it has no "power" over us.

The car crash situation however is different imo. The very definition of accident excludes us from having any significant impact on the events taking place. Accident is by its nature unexpected and unintended. Therefore if it occurs we are no longer an observer, but a participant (direct or indirect). Of course we don't even have to be in a car that's wrecked, to participate in this external event, we can simply be slowed down because of what happened as you said. And this occurence affects our sphere of being.

As for the whole factor of power in all this. My professor, trying to explain what power is gave us this definition: Power is being in a possesion of something others desire to have.

PostPosted: 11/01/08 09:34:37 AM 

sorry man, but i may have put to much into tryin' to set an example by the accident , but it was just an example of what i was speakin' of. and one of my points is controversy causes fame and infamy, both of which puts you in the eye of the public, rather an accidental situation or one premeditated , controversy causes fame and fame is power and weakness making controversy itself a very powerfull thing. i look at it like you are put in an ocean of water and you can either control this body of water or let this body of water control you.... but i have to say , i only agree with your professor's definition of power as partially true, as i look at "power" as "in control of" . meaning not only can one be powerful by having what someone else wants, because that wouldn't make them a powerfull person , at least to me, cause what others think they need ,i have found out that i only want, and then have learned to live without my wants. you have good points though