Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Cage: Depart from me...

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/15/19 10:17:28 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cage: Depart from me...
PostPosted: 03/28/10 03:21:23 PM 

Just gave it a quick listen...while running around here...be back with the break down...

Post subject: Re: Cage: Depart from me...
PostPosted: 03/30/10 10:02:52 AM 

I only heard Blood Boy from the Definitive Swim Compilation, but I found it decent even with the more depressing than usual vibe of the track... Cage is dipping too far into the indie and punk scenes for my taste lately. Sooner or later he will no longer be considered rap to me. Hopefully this album wasn't the one to do it.

PostPosted: 04/03/10 06:21:53 PM 

I was feeling the same way, but at the same time...it reminds me a little of Cann. Ox. Cold Vein. Only grittier and more self pitifying.

The production, as Vybez said, is a little on the indie punk-tip. But it is the same Cage borderlining talent into psychoneurotic teenage angst. I like Movies for the Blind better than this. Not to say that this is horrible...it is a solid effort from him, but it sounds like some shit they play at a pharm. party. Not the classic Cage I am used to, but times are changing and in order to survive one must adapt, or transform in order to maintain longevity. WAY better than Vast Aire's Duece's Wild bullshit, though. Overall 7/10

Nothing left to say
Beat kids
Dr. Strong
I found my mind in Conneticut
I lost it in Havertown
Teenage Hands
Eating It's way out of me
Kick Rocks
Captain Burnout
Strain
Fat kids need an anthem
Look at what you did
Depart from me
I never knew you...

Ay yo, vybez, good to see you around man...stay up.

PostPosted: 04/05/10 08:51:05 AM 

I'm gonna give this entire album a listen. I heard a couple tracks on youtube the other day and it sounded like the kind of thing that grows on you after a few plays (if you're into Cage). Hell's Winter took a few plays before I started liking it a lot. He matured a bit on that album imo. Seems like he's back on the drugs again though.

and yeah, I was off the map for a minute but I'm back around again. How you been man?

PostPosted: 04/05/10 11:29:02 AM 

This album is different than any other one, it has more of a chill out vibe to it....

it does grow on you..

PostPosted: 04/05/10 11:51:12 AM 

Bad VybeZ wrote:
I'm gonna give this entire album a listen. I heard a couple tracks on youtube the other day and it sounded like the kind of thing that grows on you after a few plays (if you're into Cage). Hell's Winter took a few plays before I started liking it a lot. He matured a bit on that album imo. Seems like he's back on the drugs again though.

and yeah, I was off the map for a minute but I'm back around again. How you been man?

sme ol', same ol'...been trying to listen to alot of hip-hop albums of late...trying to liven this dead-pan emcee corner up with participation and shit...you know the deal.

Anyway, Hell's Winter grew on me in about three tracks...but give this one a chance and you might come to like it. every album it does seem that he gets dumped, back on the shit, and into rehab. weird cycle.

PostPosted: 04/05/10 09:10:40 PM 

b.p. wrote:
Bad VybeZ wrote:

sme ol', same ol'...been trying to listen to alot of hip-hop albums of late...trying to liven this dead-pan emcee corner up with participation and shit...you know the deal.

Anyway, Hell's Winter grew on me in about three tracks...but give this one a chance and you might come to like it. every album it does seem that he gets dumped, back on the shit, and into rehab. weird cycle.

With success comes bad habbitts and some people grow up quicker or dont grow up at all

PostPosted: 04/08/10 11:10:02 AM 

...<there was something else here, but i did edit it...had to check myself>...

...anyway...i don't believe that cage is THAT successful, but the little exposure that has had...he just need to get that in check. could prove fatal. i did think about what his shit be like if he never used drugs, but then you got Hell's Winter...which was mild compared to his other work.

PostPosted: 04/17/10 02:22:08 PM 

I think Cage made himself success proof by getting "Shoot Frank" on MTV2... Now, that song is catchy, but not an accurate representation of Cage or his catalog. It's a pop song, with a sober, reflective yet optimistic Cage. It's the lyrical equivalent of reading a "WHAT IF?!" comic. Any new potential fans probably went out and bought Hell's Winter and expected something entirely different, or even worse checked his back catalog and were disgusted enough to go cry on the floor of their shower in the fetal position (Especially if they managed to encounter the Smut Peddlers album , which I love by the way), as a result of this, most people probably just download that one song and called it a day. Pulling that kind of bait and switch move is pretty much the formula for making yourself into a one hit wonder.

One can also argue that he's success proof simply on lyrical content alone. But he has a pretty large indie following.