Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Book-Smarts????? Got em?!?

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 09/18/19 12:07:31 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/22/01 01:29:00 AM 

Who here reads? Up until today I hadn't read a book in a year, and felt bored of my vocabulary. My rhymes are going down the drain, no ones peeping my posts; all because of my lack of subject matter. Reading creates doorways into parts of life not easily reached by the sedentary consciousness. Anyways, what do you cats think about your reading? Has it enhanced your rhymes, references, and mind-state? What do you read? Is anyone here majoring in some sort of science in college?

Just some questions on my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/22/01 08:53:00 AM 

I read. Constantly. The subject matter changes daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/22/01 09:45:00 AM 

i agree with that cliche'... reading is writing and writing is reading. or something like that.

i am taking a year off from college. but i was majoring in chemistry and mathematics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/22/01 09:52:00 AM 

oh yeah, I am majoring in the science of telling others how to think and feel-
a.k.a Public Relations

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/22/01 09:56:00 AM 
Quote:
On 2001-06-22 11:53, sterling_deversity wrote:
I read. Constantly. The subject matter changes daily.

word...reading and writing is fundamental to me which explains why i got my degree in english. it has definetly increased my vocabulary and improved my mindstate. i usually read a few books at a time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MizPeace on 2001-06-22 12:58 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/24/01 01:42:00 AM 

I'm trying to read more, but with my schedule, it's kinda hard. I work 12 hour days (usually ends up being 14) and then I work out and sleep; on weekends I'm usually busy with band practice or church. However, I am trying to make the effort to read. I have two James Joyce novels sitting on my night table as well as Jonathon Swift and a Bible. Also alot of stuff on Buddhism and other Eastern philosophies/religions sits inside my cabinet. Reading does have a great effect on your writing, because how could we express ourselves in proper light unless we knew the proper usage of our language? That's not something you learn by talking, but rather through reading and gaining knowledge. Like feedin' ya body, ya need to feed your mind and soul as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/24/01 10:12:00 AM 

being as our thought process is completely dependent on our comprehension of language I agree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/24/01 03:13:00 PM 

Thankx for the feedback. I read a Thesasaurus all the time... It helps me with synonyms. I'm also interested in the Revelation. I'm reading a book on it right now, called "Cracking the Apocalypse Code"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/26/01 05:53:00 AM 

i'm a sponge...back in school I didn't enjoy reading because it was required. Lately I spend more money on books than I do on music :eek: And yes, it definitely broadens your vocabulary (although I can't spell half the words!) and your mindstate. The greatest experience was teaching my son how to read, now the world is literally at his fingertips...Im so excited for him!

I don't read a lot of fiction, although some of the subject matter could be considered fiction to some. Spirituality, history and bizarre theories get my juices flowin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/26/01 07:27:00 AM 

Well I think everyone knows my answer in regards to this topic. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/26/01 07:49:00 AM 

I've got book smarts. Only a drop in the bucket of what I look forward to learning, though.

I also rarely read fiction these days, outside of certain types of text that usually jog my creativity...

Instead of random reading I try to maximize my time and read practical things relating to my life.

Reading the dictionary is helpful, or glossaries of whatever field/activity you are interested in...I've been reading technical books about recording and sound, etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/29/01 01:23:00 PM 

i don't read unless i have to. well i do read scientific stuff..i love reading about science, but plop a novel or philosophical book in my lap and i'll probably decline...it is bad, thats why my vocabulary isn't up to par...nothing really grabs me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/01/01 10:56:00 PM 

yo Drunken...I got the perfect book for ya about the book of Revelation.....explains everythin...hit me up if u interested......PEACE