Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - The Sixth Extinction

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 11/19/19 11:41:15 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/30/01 06:56:00 PM 

I stumbled upon this while researching a report and noticed Leakey's name. Educate yourself with caution as the results may startle u...
peace

Written by Richard Leakey
[http://www.well.com/user/davidu/sixthextinction.html]

Our planet has been shaken by five major extinctions in the four billion year
history of life. The first, 450 million years ago, occurred shortly after the evolution
of the first land-based plants and 100 million years after the Cambrian Explosion of
animal life beneath the seas.

The second extinction spasm came 350 million years ago, causing the formation of
coal forests. Then the Earth experienced two mass extinctions during the Triassic
period, between 250 and 200 million years ago. The fifth mass extinction, probably
caused by a giant meteor collision, occurred 65 million years ago, at the end of the
Cretaceous period, and ended the reptilian dominance of the Earth. This led to the
current mammalian domination of the Earth.

So what is the Sixth Extinction? When is it coming? And what is its cause? "It's the
next annihilation of vast numbers of species. It is happening now, and we, the
human race, are its cause," explains Dr. Richard Leakey, the world's most famous
paleoanthropologist. Every year, between 17,000 and 100,000 species vanish from
our planet, he says. "For the sake of argument, let's assume the number is 50,000
a year. Whatever way you look at it, we're destroying the Earth at a rate
comparable with the impact of a giant asteroid slamming into the planet, or even a
shower of vast heavenly bodies." The statistics he has assembled are staggering.
Fifty per cent of the Earth's species will have vanished inside the next 100 years;
mankind is using almost half the energy available to sustain life on the planet, and
this figure will only grow as our population leaps from 5.7 billion to ten billion
inside the next half-century. Such a dramatic and overwhelming mass extinction
threatens the entire complex fabric of life on Earth, including the species
responsible for it: Homo sapiens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/30/01 07:53:00 PM 

damn, thats insane.... we're destroying the whole planet, but nobody cares... and it's not just corporations, WE use the stuff they make, it were just as much at fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/30/01 09:37:00 PM 

a lot of that is speculation though, it sounds somewhat like that guys trying to make a name for himself a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 08:39:00 AM 
bananas!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 08:42:00 AM 

There is absolutely NO denying that we are destroying this planet with lightning speed

:sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 09:01:00 AM 

yeah i know Un, but he's making a name for himself by claiming its the Sixth Extinction, which it may be, but he's not really doing anything, just putting a title to the obvious and will proally write a book and be the leading expert. Whatever, we all gotta make money.,..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/01 03:13:00 PM 

Just for the record, 'he' is one of the worlds leading paleontoligist, so he has made a name for himself. This is his latest theory. I think a lot of the info he presents is questionable, as he states in the book, but thats just cuase the concept is so far out there.

Makes ya sit back and say damn, ya know..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/03/01 08:28:00 AM 

This just might be the Sixth Extinction
because when stuff like that happens
there isn t a set Way or Cause that u can go by
just like the meteor hittin the Earth before
We just may be the METEOR of this Extinction...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RaSunAlmighty on 2001-05-03 11:33 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/08/01 12:01:00 PM 

We definitely are consumin this planet that maintains us and keeps us alive...
It's only got so many resources at any one time y'know,... More humans on the Earth, faster the end will come.... Look at our frickin needs that they create for us - we don't need all this sh!t?!!? And it's costin the Earth BIG time....? I jus wanna live naturally -sob- in the free world -sob- my true intention on this Earth -sob- If I help the Earth the Earth'll maintain me -sob- But who do I really serve????